Best beginner Goose?

dadof4

Songster
11 Years
Aug 30, 2008
mississippi
I'm thinking of getting a couple geese to free reange with my campbell hens. What is a good one to start with. I have two small kids so I don't want something too aggressive.

I too am thinking about getting some geese this year also. In my research I am finding that either Pilgrim or Buff geese are the ones to get.
Sorry I'm not much help. Maybe someone can answer for us.

it doesn't matter what type you get, during the spring the males will always be more agressive because they're protecting their mate. we have a chinese goose and for the most part he let's you handle him. there are toulouse geese in the canal that won't let you get more than 10 feet close to them. the male are VERY agressive.

good luck!

I would suggest the buffs - they are so sweet. I really hate my embdens because they talk back and hiss so much - not at all loving like the buffs. My buffs, even the ganders with mates, are not aggressive at all.

If you could get your hands on them, giant dewlap toulouse would be my number one suggestion. Talk about SWEET! No fighting, no agression, and no back talk. Pure bliss.
smile.png
They are the most talkative too - and not in a bad way either - just always have something to tell me. Usually it is "I'm thirsty would you mind hurrying up with the water" or "Where the pool today, huh? Can't 'cha see the sun is out?" They even follow me into the chick brooder and the duck pens trying to be all up in my business. If I could only have one kind of goose it would be dewlap toulouse.
love.gif

The breed you get matters a _lot_. Different breeds really do have different personalities, and while you can get the odd goose out, most of the breed tends to show off that personality, for better or worse.

I've heard a lot of great things about Dewlap Toulouse but have never had any, myself. The one small flock I was around was very mild-mannered, but still louder than my American Buffs and Pilgrims (just because they were chatty - none of them were really "loud"
smile.png

Both American Buffs and Pilgrims were bred with personality taken into consideration. I'm spoiled rotten with both and lean toward liking my Pilgrims more than my Buffs. I have never been attacked by either breed - even while raiding eggs and tromping across their nesting sites.

Both breeds are more difficult to come across, but well worth the wait. If you want something that will definitely be friendly with your kids then you can't go wrong with either.

American Buffs, Pilgrims, and Dewlap Toulouse all need more help when it comes to promoting and furthering the breeds. If you do decide to get one of them I'm all for trying to talk you into getting a pair/trio (or more?
smile.png
to help spread the goosey gospel and get at least a pair of geese in every barn and/or chicken pen.

as you can see , everybody has a favorite.. I have had all kinds of breeds and all of them had bad, mean, wild, fiendly, tame ones..

there is just not any best one.. you have to get one and try it.. if it is mean, get rid of it and get another one.. eventually you will get the perfect one..

the most surprisng tame one I had was an african pair.. she would let me reach under her and take out her incubating eggs for inspection and after the eggs hatched she let me take the babies out and play with them.. and the gander stood by, but never attacked me..

each goose has it's own personality

I have only had sebastopols. I can say that I love their temperaments. they are very docile and tame. non agressive (boys do get hissy at breeding season). They are friendly and curious with visitors... nibbling on their shoes and fingers. They eat from my hand and I have one male that comes over to me every time he sees me and he lets me kneel down and hug him..... even now during breeding season!!
I cant say anything bad about the temperaments of sebastopols.

Well the ones that I half take care of are free roamers. 4 touloses and 1 white chinese male.

both seems to be aggressive the males during this time of the yr.

I lve ona canal in Miami and I actually like them to be a little aggressive, if tehy don't they might end up in a pot somewhere.

We lost the 2 brothers last month, here one day gone the next. REALLY SUCKSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I am going to be getting some dewlap toulouse. I know of a place that sells show quality/potential dewlap toulouse in buff and in gray for a decent price. If you want to the places website, just pm me
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom