Best beginner show breeds?

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

Love Comes with Feathers
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
California
Ever since I got my chickens I've been interested in showing (and okay... I guess I've always wanted to show something
hide.gif
) But I recently found out that my four Gold Sex Link pullets can't be entered in shows because they are not a recognized breed.

So what are the best birds for showing for beginners?

And what are the best birds to show AND keep with my GSL's?
D.gif

Thanks!
big_smile.png

Nearly any breed can get along with Sex Links, same with any other common laying breed. . .
smile.png

The secret though is to get birds from breeders, not hatcheries (getting hatching eggs right here from BYC users is the best
smile.png
) - And as for breeds, do with what you love. There's no better or worse breed to show, it's about what you love. I myself love Polish, Araucanas, Shamos, and Ameraucanas. . . So that's what I have to breed and show. Soon to be real Brahmas too.

Yeah you have to show what you love and what you have a passion for. I know you don't know what that breed is and you wouldn't be posting if you did but you will just have to experiment. I found the Ameraucanas because I just liked the look of them. I got them and I fell in love with them they are awesome. My little sister wants Modern Game Bantams so badly; I'm pretty sure that is going to be her "breed". I also really like Silkies especially the roosters my one and only pet chicken ever that I really was attached to was a Buff Silkie rooster named Bubba! I carried him around everywhere. When I was out there he was with me! I would start with a breed that you just find aesthetically pleasing first. You will know a breed is a right fit when you feel like you have always had them.

Ok, thanks guys!
big_smile.png
just a little bit worried because GSL's are usually half RIR and I heard they can be pretty territorial. Glad that's not the case for my girls!

Last edited:
I like to recommend dual purpose breeds to beginners, they are usually quite forgiving, and easier to handle then some of the more high strung breeds. Rocks, wyandottes, RIR, orpingtons are all good choices. I think i started all those years ago with barred rocks. indestructible and completely patient with me and my mishandling. But like illia said, GO TO A BREEDER! Not only are they a good source of show quality birds, they are a wealth of knowledge!
Sib
wink.png

Its really good to show how you value your chicken no matter what their breed is. Just like my chicks they are mere ordinary breed of chick but I value them very much as my son see's how I take care of them, he also do the same thing if I am not around.

Back
Top Bottom