best bird greens ???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mowgli457, Oct 21, 2014.

1. mowgli457

mowgli457 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2013
    hello all . I was wondering if anyone can tell me what your chickens like as far as greens go? heads of romaine ? chicory ?? a few time I have seen mention of cabbage here in some posts ?? I have parrots and I know the darker the green the better it is for them , mygirls seem love everything but i am looking for something to also take them awhile to enjoy ? corn this summer was by far the fav ever. I hung ears from string , hid them in yard, put into suet baskets . so I was hoping to find something equally as yummy for them ??

2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    My chickens love heads of cabbage and lettuce. They will peck at them off and on all day. And I know its not green, but my girls love it when I give them a pumpkin to destroy. And its very good for them. My chickens were scared of it at first. They all gathered around and stared at it. I cut a few holes in it and finally Fidget, my barred rock and bravest chicken gave it a peck. Then the riot was on.

3. mowgli457

mowgli457 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2013
    and what a time for pumpkins !!! thanks ill try it. I have goats and 9 dogs and 11 parrots ! I love being outside in my very secluded yard with everyone together , everyone gets along wonderfully ! my girls = chickens think they are parrots some days and dogs on others ! I love them !!! I did a pomegranate tonight and they all went crazy I cut 2 of them in 1/2 first it was like AH YA WHAT AM I SUPPOSE TO DO W THIS ? and then my lil silkie comes barging thru and plucks out the first layer of seeds ! they went crazy pecking n pulling at it, grabbing pieces and running away to eat in peace , every last morsel was devoured . just sucks that poms are so short seasoned .

4. Chikenbutwut

Chikenbutwut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Benton, KY
    I'm gonna try pumpkins again this yr...only I'm gonna start with a small one unlike last year's big one. I say this because they didn't seem to care much for the one I gave them last yr. They were young then...oh, about 6-7 mos. Hopefully, now that they're older, they'll like it this time around.

They love lettuce (which I put in a suet basket...they like romaine and butter lettuce), but don't really bother with the broccoli I put in there. They'll pick at it some, but that's about it (a few do like the heads though). Since they're in a run (and have to be, as I'm not allowed to let them free range), I give them grass clippings and dandelions. They love beans too...like green beans and peas and such.

I've not tried cabbage yet, so I'm gonna give it a try and see how they like that. Haven't tried sprouts yet either...another thing I'm wanting to give a try.

5. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    I was gifted with a large amount of mustard greens today. I put some up for my family and I saved some for my girls. They went crazy for them! I'm gonna add them to my garden next year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by