Best Black Spanish Turkey Breeders

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Cherie1n2, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Cherie1n2

Cherie1n2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2014
    Upstate South Carolina
    After having turkey for a few years now, I've decided to go with a pure breeding flock and want to use Black Spanish Turkey. I don't want hatching eggs.

Any recommendations for a breeder or hatchery to get a good foundation stock?

2. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Porters turkeys has decent birds.

4. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
  5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Spanish black is one term used for black turkeys.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2016
  6. Indyshent

Indyshent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Spanish Black=Norfolk Black=Black. There's no difference anymore, if there ever really was. There are no specific standards for one or another kind of Black turkey---per ALBC.

If you want the original foundation stock for black turkeys, you'd have to go to Mexico, which is where those original black turkeys were bred. However, Native Americans had much smaller turkeys as foundation stock, so many are only eight to twelve pounds or so. Blame the settlers crossing that stock (after an intermission in Europe) to the Eastern wild for the much larger, tastier stock you can show. That allowed for the 30+lb birds (which is what the Black turkey tom should be about when mature). So, you're not really ever going to show a pure Norfolk or Spanish black because the breed had to have been crossed with Eastern wilds after coming to the east coast in order to meet the breed requirement. Terribly funny to me [​IMG]

7. Indyshent

Indyshent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Indianapolis
    By the way, I'm considering specializing in black turkeys, too. They're showable, and the two I have are very hardy, alert, curious, funny--and large--girls. Don't have a tom yet.

I'm also really enjoying my chocolate jenny, who has all the qualities I just mentioned for blacks--except she's not as big and not showable (chocolates are just too rare, apparently).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by