Best book for chicken care

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Christoffking, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Christoffking

Christoffking Just Hatched

Jan 12, 2017
    Southern Arizona
    I'm looking for a more modern book about caring for chickens. Mine are just as pets and I want something I can refer too in case I need it. I looked around but all the books or threads are older and I'm wondering if there a more newer one.

shawthorne44 likes this.
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    An easy to find one is Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens, which gets an updated version every so often. Some people criticize even that one, but the more you read the better. I read that one plus several others before I got my first chickens. One thing you will find, even from so-called professional sources, that there can be some misinformation in anything your read. Even some of the professional sources seen online, may have differing opinions about things. Here on BYC, there are numerous articles written by BYC members up in the Learning Center, top of this page. Keep in mind, these are just regular people writing articles about subjects they want to share. There can be some misinformation there as well, but depending on the author, most is pretty helpful. Some people swear by apple cider vinegar and products like DE (diatomatacious earth) being cure alls, but many learn that those things are not eventually. Good quality feed for the age of the chicken, good clean water, and some occasional probiotic plain yogurt is all I use. Plus, a secure coop and run, and letting them out to free range daily, will be good for all chickens.Buy your chickens from a hatchery, not a swap meet or from an unknown breeder is the best way to not get diseases.
    I have learned a lot from reading the forums daily, especially those on this page that are of interest to me: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/

I also have borrowed books from other friends who raise chickens. Here is the Google site for finding different books:
    https://www.google.com/webhp?source...-8#q=books+about+caring+for+chickens&tbm=shop

The forum is great because you can ask a question about how other people recommend to do something, and you may get dozens of opinions. The forum is very busy in the mornings and late evenings when more people are reading and answering. TheChickenChick.com is a good place to look also. She actually is a BYC member as well. ThePoultrySite, TheMerck/VetManual, and any veterinary college articles are usually pretty informative. I like to read from many sources, and then make up my own mind.

Below are some I have read, and one is written by the BYC website owner:

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  3. Christoffking

Christoffking Just Hatched

Jan 12, 2017
    Southern Arizona
    Thanks you this all help me narrowed down which book to order.

4. shawthorne44

shawthorne44 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2017
    The fourth edition is available for pre-order. Out Dec 26, 2017.
    I might make do with library books until then

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by