Best Book on Breeding/Genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mame1616, Sep 12, 2010.

1. mame1616

mame1616 Songster

Jan 30, 2008
    Middletown, NJ
    Hi - with so many books out there, does anyone have a favorite books on breeding and/or genetics? Thanks all!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    This forum. [​IMG]

3. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    Ya know I'm wondering the same thing... I would love a list of dominant and recessive traits, and what happens with various combination's I saw that on the comb traits they listed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=9280-Comb_Genetics

Genetics of the Fowl: The Classic Guide to Chicken Genetics and Poultry Breeding

is the source they site.. I looked it up and you can buy it at Amazon for $40.00 but alas I'm a college student and money for extra books even interesting ones is kinda not possible. So I found a few I'm ordering through my college library system. One is Modern Live Stock and Poultry. I'm gonna keep looking and see if any have a list. I think I might also look at some of the college that specialize in agriculture, if they have a poultry science dept they might have info they will mail to you. I'm looking If I find any I will share it with you..

I hope you have a great day.

Christal

4. justuschickens59

justuschickens59 VA Royal Blues

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
  5. mame1616

mame1616 Songster

Jan 30, 2008
    Middletown, NJ
    Quote:Thanks Christal - that was a great site. Try ebay and half.com. I've also found great prices for schoolbooks at Textbooks.com. I'm in school myself, so I know how it is - good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by