Best Books About Raising Turkeys?

notaprofessional

Hatching
Nov 29, 2020
Hi all- I'm looking to expand my collection of turkey related books! I already own the Storey's Guide, and I'm hoping for books that focus more on long-term raising of heritage flocks, breeding turkeys, preserving heritage breeds, etc. as opposed to focused on commercial growing information. Thank you!

Hi all- I'm looking to expand my collection of turkey related books! I already own the Storey's Guide, and I'm hoping for books that focus more on long-term raising of heritage flocks, breeding turkeys, preserving heritage breeds, etc. as opposed to focused on commercial growing information. Thank you!
Storey’s Guide is one yes, written by my close friend, Don Schrider and I recommend an older book, “Turkey Management” by Stanley Marsden. Also, two great manuals published by the Livestock Conservancy, “Selecting Your Best Turkeys for Breeding” and “How to Raise Heritage Turkeys on Pasture,” I highly recommend.

Thank you! I'm definitely a fan of older books. I've been frustrated with newer agricultural books (on all kinds of subjects- keeping ducks, beekeeping, etc.) since it seems like there's more emphasis on flashy full-color photos instead of substantive information. I was able to get access to "Turkeys and How to Grow Them" (edited by Herbert Myrick, the copy I have access to dated 1919) through my university library, and although I haven't been able to read through it all yet, it seems like there's a lot of substantive information in it (with the knowledge that some information might be outdated/no longer recommended). I'm also having a time searching through back issues of peer reviewed journals for articles about turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom