Best brand of small incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gamefowl guy, Jan 20, 2012.

1. gamefowl guy

gamefowl guy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    My computer
    Hi, I want to buy an still-air incubator to do some extra hatching, but I am just a kid with a limited amount of money, so my price range would be around 40-80$. I have read little giants are variable, but also in reviews on amazon I have read not to buy hovabators because they are variable too, and people have had eggs killed with them. Any suggestions? And if possible, could you include model # Thanks

And please start any arguments as to why one is bad, etc., I am just looking for some info on ones that work.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  2. TBTT

TBTT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    Eastern Virginia
    https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=274

1602N Thermal Air Hova-Bator $55

Can't go wrong with a Hova-Bator. My parents used the same one for over 15 years with good results. I've been using a Hova Bator for over 10 years myself. This year I just upgraded this year to the new 1588 and soon after I order the Sportsman 1502. GQF makes quaility products you won't be disappointed.

3. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
  4. Coopacabana

Coopacabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    2362N Circulated Air Hova-Bator

[​IMG]

Invented by G.Q.F. Manufacturing Co. over 35 years ago, the Hova-Bator is still the WORLD’S BEST SMALL INCUBATOR. This “TURBOFAN” CIRCULATED AIR FLOW HOVA-BATOR uses a fan to hold a more uniform set point even when the room temperature fluctuates and accommodates various size eggs at the same time. We have cut cost in the 2362N by replacing the picture window with two smaller ones. Visibility is still good for monitoring hatches and temperatures. This unit is equipped with our dependable and easy to use wafer thermostat. Dimensions 18” x 18” x 9 1 /2”, 110 Volt AC. 25 Watt Heat Element (220 Volt available for export). All Hova-Bator incubators include a sanitary plastic liner (item No. 1765). Without an automatic turner in place, the incubator will hold 50 duck or chicken eggs or 130 quail eggs.

Price $87.

This (above) is my incubator. It is the only one i have ever had but it works well.

1602N Thermal Air Hova-Bator

Invented by G.Q.F. Manufacturing Co. over 30 years ago, the Hova-Bator is still the WORLD'S BEST SMALL INCUBATOR and the THERMAL AIR FLOW MODEL, is the most economical incubator available. The radiant heat tube gently warms the inside of the incubator, the air and eggs. Thermal action of the heated air flowing out of the exhaust vents in the top of the incubator, draws fresh air in through the bottom vent. This thermal air flow also assists the drying of the chicks after they hatch. This design includes two small windows on top for viewing. The wafer thermostat is proven, accurate technology that produces great hatch results. This model is not suitable for use with the goose egg turner, item No. 1614

Price $55.98

this one is less expensive but i have no experience with it.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have both Little Giant and Hova-Bators. I do prefer my LG as I have figured it out and the temperature actually stays steadier in it. Also are you going to hand turn the eggs? One thing to remember if you are hand turning the eggs is that a broody does get off of her nest every day to eat, drink and poop, and when I turn the eggs in a still air incubator I move the eggs around as there are cool spots and hot spots.

6. Prestonsloan12

Prestonsloan12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    warrior Alabama
    People always dog LG bators but i personally have great hatch rates with them! i have had several 100% hatches! especially with quail for some reason! i cant remember how much i paid for mine! but i am also a kid! I'm 17! i bought mine last year at tractersupply!

1 person likes this.
  7. Triplell

Triplell Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    I use the LG I got for Christmas with the egg turner. I just purchased another LG as my hatcher, it was only 37.98 on sale / reg. price is 41.98 at Fleet Farm. It wasn't hard to get mine up and running when I finally figured out what a wet and dry hatch was. Next year I will be buying a much larger incubator and using these for my hatchers. I too don't have a lot of money as I don't work and live off my husbands retirement income. Good luck with your incubating-hatching-brooding in the future.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I too have an LG and on limited funds for this chicken project. Honestly the feed is my biggest cost. Using the LG taught me a great deal about hatching. The good the bad and the ugly. THe second incubator I made. I like both. Each is unique and I learn how to tweak little things to make it work better. I do like my LG when I spend the time to monitor and keep checking on it.

Even big poultry producers check and monitor their hatchers/incubators. Monitoring is key to a great hatch.

10. blazensasha

blazensasha Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Old Miakka,FL
    I've had wonderful hatch rates with my LG.You just have to pay a little atention to it.Had for years,$40.00 from tractor supply.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by