Best brand/source of chick starter feed?

FarmerCluck

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 13, 2009
Midwest
My new babies are arriving in less than 2 weeks. What chick starter feed do you all recommend for them? I haven't picked up any yet. Also, if you can tell me where you usually get it, that would be great! Thanks!

I used the brand locally available until I ordered Countryside Naturals organic feed online. It's expensive with shipping (comes out to $1 per pound), and I had to order a 50 lb bag (which is way more than I need), but I really like the feed. It's not soy based; the protein comes from fish, and it includes Fertrell's supplements.

My chicks' poops are smaller and less stinky (other than the cecal poops, of course) since I've been feeding Countryside, which makes me believe that they're getting more nutrition (and less waste) from this feed.

We like it a lot.

The brand of chick starter to me does not matter.I first look if the feed is quality feed, such as no mold, bugs ,etc... Then I look at it's nutritional value and if it is medicated or not.Everything has to be perfect in order for the chick to grow properly.For example the food might have way too much protein or way too little protein might result in stunted growth.To me brand does not matter.What matters is the nutrition the chick is getting.Hope this helps.....

Quote:
I'm pretty darned new to this and your comment was rather "generic". "Everything has to be perfect".........means what? What makes it perfect? What is way too much or too little protein? What, specifically, should I be looking for in a chick feed?

Well, if you're looking for a high quality feed, I recommend Blue Seal or it's also called Kent depending where you are in the USA. Here's the link:

http://www.blueseal.com/livestock/poultry/

I love this stuff-and I know there's other bycer's on here that do too!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
You're looking for around 20 percent protein, for chick starter. When they get to be laying age, their protein needs are reduced, but they need added calcium.

Back
Top Bottom