Best breed for a pet?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Anira, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Anira

Anira Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    One of my coworkers was asking me about ducks last night for her kid, I think it was. They have chickens already, and she was thinking her kid would love to have a duck, for some reason. I really wasn't paying much attention to the reason why she was interested in ducks, and I seem to be having memory problems these days. Anyway, I told her ducks are very dirty (as in they make messes, not dirty themselves), but can get along with chickens well enough.

I was wondering what breed of duck is best as a pet for kids? Like I would say d'uccles are great pets for kids because they're so calm and gentle; dainty, in the case of my d'uccles.

This all came up when I mentioned I was trying to hatch a couple duck eggs for a neighbor, whose female was killed the other day. She was wondering what I was going to do with the ducklings when they hatch. I'm assuming the lady I'm hatching them for will want them, but I'm not entirely sure at this point.

I'll be seeing her again at work tonight, so I can pass along the information and maybe see about getting her a couple ducklings.

2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Pekins are a good all-around breed, they're very gentle, full of character, and not so small and dainty that they'd be at high risk from a happy kid's grabby hands. Not as adults, anyway.

I love having call ducks, now those are probably the friendliest, snuggliest duck around, but they're very small, and very noisy. Either way, you wanna make sure that she's prepared for having ducks which is NOTHING like raising chickens, not in the slightest! And she's gonna need more than one. Like, two at the bare minimum.

3. Anira

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    Yes, I know she'll need more than one. Which is why I said I'd see about getting her a couple ducklings. And I wouldn't help her get any if I didn't know for sure she would be able to care for them properly. I can't stand people who get animals they can't care for, simply because they wanted to have one.

I'm pretty sure her kid isn't really young. Old enough to know how to handle small animals, at least.

4. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Not trying to sound accusatory, it's just in my line of work you see a lot of injuries on animals caused by enthusiastic kids. They often don't know their own strength! I'm 31 and I still get that urge to squeeze something I think is super cute. :p

Since your friend raises chickens they may be expecting ducks to be similar as far as behavior, intelligence, amount of upkeep, etc. but they're like apples and oranges! Ducks are more work than chickens, I'm afraid. They're also smarter and so you can't trick them so do what you want them to do sometimes like you can with chickens (at least with mine. Stupid dinosaurs, the whole lot of 'em). I'm sure you've already relayed this to your friend but I just wanted to make sure. I love ducks, they're like my babies and so I have a bad habit of going Mama Bear on first-time owners!

I still recommend Pekins, or even Cayugas. Both are known for their gentle nature, but I like Pekins personally since they're so hammy!

5. Anira

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    I'm the same way with chickens. If someone mentions they want chickens I go over it for weeks with them, making sure they understand everything about caring for them before I let them get any (usually from me).

But if you don't let them try, no one would ever have chickens or ducks and then where would we be? Everyone was a first-time owner at some point. It's a learning experience. If it doesn't work out, I know plenty of people who have ducks that would be happy to take them.

Thank you for the info!

6. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Pekins are good, rouens, cayugas and welsh harlequins. Most of the bigger breeds do well with younger kids. That being said my kids are 2 and 4 and we have a mixed flock. Since they were all raised with kids minus 2 new ones (Cayuga and created) they do fine with the craziness of kids screaming and running their tractors everywhere. They will follow my kids around eating peas out of their hands, which are at eye leve for the duckies.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  7. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    FWIW, I recommend Pekins or Muscovies. I know, I know, Muscovies are "ugly". I thought so too till I got some. They are almost dog like and if you want calm, they are the calmest breed I have every seen. They are sturdy, lay well and if you get girls, the caruncles are not very pronounced, and it is easier to get used to them. Mine will follow me around, wag their tails at me and just stand there while I push the wheelbarrow, rake, sweep right next to them. Do that near any of my other breeds and they are on the run (or flight). Pekins are not as dog like, but the one I had was darling. I miss her. She was pretty calm too. But nothing tops a Muscovy for being unflappable (ha! Pun intended [​IMG])

8. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Yeah, I do like scovies, they're surprisingly demure for such gigantic birds! The only downfall is if you ever need to catch one to take it to the vet or something, you may as well be trying to wrangle a goose. Not easy. x_x;; I admit I mostly have a soft spot for pekins due to their silly natures. They always make me smile watching them act like goofballs!

9. Anira

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    Thanks for the info, guys! Sorry I haven't responded; internet can't decide if it wants to work or not.

She saw a pic of khaki campbell ducklings and fell in love with "the ugly ducklings". Would they be any good as pets?

I should also mention, out here it is freezing in winter, and scorching in summer. We basically only have the two seasons, though we do get some "mild" weather on occasion. Like right now it's just threatening to rain, but only drizzles on occasion.

I don't think muscovies are available to us here, either.

10. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    I've never handled a khaki, but others here say they're very gentle. I dunno about their friendliness, hardiness or noise level, though. I'm sure someone else can weigh in. :)

Personally I still vote for call ducks, but I'm biased, hehe! And I fully admit they are NOT weather hardy. However mine is an indoor duck, so I don't have to worry about that. I just worry about whenever he drills into the carpet looking for non-existent bugs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by