Best breed for begginers

JessicaR

Hatching
8 Years
May 5, 2011
What would be the best breed for a newbie? I have never owned chickens before but am looking foreward to getting some hens next year for eggs and pets only, I dont plan on eating them. I live in Northwest Ohio so I need a cold hardy breed and one that is pretty docile. Also what books do you reccomend reading before I get any chicks? I am sure I will have many questions before get my chicks so please be patient with me
big_smile.png
I have already seen a lot of people got their chicks from Myers, I will have to check them out I live a little over an hour away from them.

welcome-byc.gif

There are probably several breeds that would work for you. I would recommend looking into Orpingtons as they tend to have a friendly disposition, and good layers, and are pretty hardy. They lay big light brown eggs and are known to be winter layers. My orps have proven to be very entertaining to watch (they are just dopey birds) and will do just about anything you want for for a treat and a scratch on the head.
smile.png

Hi! If you want hens for eggs, I would recommend Rhode Island Reds, or a hybrid like the Golden Buff. The Golden Buff is an excellent layer of a nice large brown egg, plus then hens usually only get around 4 lbs, so they don't eat you out of house and home. They're a very pleasant breed.

Now, my favorite breed...I would have to say is the Barred Rock, because they are very calm, and their feathers are just beautiful. They're also a brown egg layer, and a good layer, but not quite as good as the golden buff.

You could always pick a variety and get a few different breeds. I like my "eye candy" breeds, along with my layers.

Good luck to you, and welcome to BYC!

Sharon

The local feed stores in your area are the quickest way to purchase live chicks that are usually a popular breed. The girls at my two local stores raise birds as well so they know their stuff if you ask questions. That may be the case in your area. I have quite the mix of heritage birds (16) and my favorites to date for calmness are the Dominiques, Cuckoo Maran, Cochin, Buff Orphington & Buckeye. Recently I added young Salmon Favorelles and they are by far the calmest almost shy and I am very happy with them. The trick with most are if your raising them from peeps to handle them a lot and get them used to you working around them, holding them, feeding from your hand and they become more pet like. Mine are a free ranging flock and not really handled but I can walk amongst them, work and they are in my business
which since it's their area its really their business
smile.png
what I'm doing.

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks! I will do more research on those breeds and see what I like. We have a TSC that has chicks, but I really dont want to get any from them. They sell them straight run only plus you have to get six, I cant have and dont want a rooster and I am not sure if I want six. I am going to get some from Myers since its only a little over an hour drive for me.

The breed that is right for you is the one you like best.

I highly recommend buckeyes and plymouth rocks. buckeyes were created in Ohio and are one of the most cold hardy breeds, Not to mention, they are the only American breed created by a woman - Mrs. Nettie Metcalf. They are Very friendly too.

Last edited:
Basically anything commonly offered is a good start.

Barred Rocks, Black Australorps, Production Reds, Easter Eggers, Cochins, Silkies, Orpingtons, Dominiques, etc.

Back
Top Bottom