??Best Breed For Children??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chicky_mommy, Sep 10, 2010.

1. chicky_mommy

chicky_mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Northeast Corner of CT
    I have owned chickens, all but one of which was a cross of something, in the past and i've raised them from eggs to 8years old, but I was 12 when I started with them. My daughter will be 3 in the spring and I want to get some chickens for her and me to share and enjoy the company of...the problem is I don't know weather I should start with babies or fully grown birds, I also don't know if I should get bantams or standards, or if there is one breed that would be significantly better for us than another...someone who knows a little more about breeds please help me out??

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    [​IMG] my daughter was 4 when we got our birds. my advice would be to sit down with a chicken book and see what catches her eye. our silkies are great with kids, so are cochins. frizzles are fun too. the Mediterranean class birds like legherns tend to be a little flightyer but can be tamed down.

3. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    Quote:x2

4. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Anything with Cochin or Silkie in it [​IMG]

5. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Quote:x2

6. CarolAnn

CarolAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Kansas
    I would suggest you get day old chicks and raise them together. I bought my chicks in April and my 2 granddaughters (who live just 1/4 mi down the road) were involved from the first day. I bought them then picked them up from school. They helped me clean out the stock tank I bought to start them in until I got my chicken house. We took them out of the boxes and handled them for a minute before putting them in the tank. I handled each one every day and so did the girls every day they were down here. The chicks got familiar with us and vise versa. Now at 15,17 and 20 wks the girls aren't scared of them a bit and they help me with everything. The youngest girl (8 1/2) will even scrape poop! We can pick them up, carry them around and go in their house and runs anytime and they don't mind at all. Look at my signature to see what breeds I have. I bought a chicken mag at the farm store and scoured it for info. I looked at the breeds I knew I wanted and at others that appealed to me. I wanted all big brown eggs so I chose ones who give those. It had a great chart listing many breeds, how heavy they lay, color and size of eggs, how they take confinement, are they broody, easy to work with, temperment, what climates they do best in. Lots of info there. All the breeds I have are listed as being of good temperment, reasonably heavy layers of big brown eggs and other things I was looking for. I do love those big heavy brown eggs.

If I could locate my magazine I'd tell you what it is exactly. I am new to chickens, although I had a bunch in the mid 70's. Bought grown hens a neighbor friend was "retiring" from his big egg operation. Only lasted about a year before something started getting them during the night even tho they were in a locked tight hen house (we thought) every night. I was actually relieved when the last two disappeared because I was pg with twins and couldn't navigate the hill down to the chicken house and back. It wasn't much of an incline but huge as I was it was huge too!! If I find that mag I'll let you know.

7. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Barred rock, ameraucana, dark brahma, white silkie, golden laced Wyandotte

8. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

Our cochins are great with the kids.

Our Dominiques are also nice, friendly, docile standard birds.

9. Doug the Chicken Man

Doug the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario
    D'Uccle's Bantam Sized, feather balls of docile love.
    My Daughter oves them and is now showing them in the local fairs.

10. chicky_mommy

chicky_mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Northeast Corner of CT
    THANK YOU to EVERYONE WHO POSTED ON THIS!!
    I took some breed information and selected 9 breeds that are known to be friendly then I printed some pictures of those breeds (all the same colored birds) and let my little girl pick one.
    We have decided to get cochins.

YAY!!! COCHINS!!! Thanks again everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by