Best breed for child's pet and egg laying (in a small space)?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AGinPA, Jan 2, 2008.

1. AGinPA

AGinPA Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2008
    What are the best breeds for kids? My 9 year old is incredibly excited about getting "chickies" as he calls them. He's always wanted a pet but is allergic to anything with fur. He'd really like hens that will interact with him a lot and be fun to watch. Ideally we'd like 3-4 hens who are fairly quiet (we only have a small suburban backyard and don't want to bother the neighbors) and who aren't too skittish (they will need to put up the noise of kids playing in the backyard.) I'm really looking forward to the eggs and definitely want hens that will lay through the winter if possible.

So what breeds do you suggest? Thanks!

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Silkies I would say are the breed most often raised for pets. They lay pretty good in winter, but they often go broody and their eggs aren't that big.

I have always loved Black Sex-links (Murray Mcmurray calls them Black Stars) mine have all been super friendly and great layers.

I am also having really good luck with a RIR I adopted. I imagine it could be the way she was raised since this is first RIR I've ever had, but this girl is super friendly and really sweet. She thinks she's a parrot and is always flying up on my shoulder. [​IMG]

Good luck! I'm sure you'll get as many recommendations as there are breeds.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My suggestion is Standard Buff Orpingtons...nice birds around kids....

4. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    hmm hard one I have several that are very friendly but I think it has to deal more with how much you handle them.
    My brahmas, cochins, and RIRs are pretty friendly. I like my cochins though.

5. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    All my naked necks (turkens) are VERY friendly and love being handled.

6. w8tn4fresheggs

w8tn4fresheggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Nebraska
    I have a Rhode Island Red that is super friendly. Silkies are great too and good layers. Bella hasn't missed a day of egg laying yet. Even in winter. Eggs will be small though. Steph

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I know I sound like a broken record, but Barred Rocks are wonderful and less likely to go broody than a Buff Orpington, although, either would be a great choice. Barred Rocks are smaller than the Orps.

8. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Yes bared rocks are nice you think I would have thought of that since I have them but escaped my mind. I have quite a few of them and yet to have one go broody.

9. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I am going to have to say Silkies as well. They are wonderful and very sweet. I think that they would be great with the kids.

10. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    I would go with orpingtons........silkies.........or even barred rocks. All are pretty friendly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by