Best breed for dark meat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DStewart PDX, Feb 4, 2014.

1. DStewart PDX

DStewart PDX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Greetings, BYC! I did some Heritage Whites last year and they produced the typical giant slab of white mean on the breast. I don't care for white meat, and much prefer dark meat. Do y'all know what breed might have more dark meat? Or at least a breast that is a little darker, more flavorful? Is the answer to this question the same as for "which is the best meat breed"? Would like to process between 12 and 20 weeks. Thanks!

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Duck, I would vote duck.

They grow like crazy! By 12 weeks they are huge!

I have muscovies, they get to butchering age much faster than geese, and there is tons of wonderful dark meat!

But, I also like a regular layer or dual purpose chicken at 4 months, slow cooked at a low temperature. Not much meat, but what is there is full of flavor.

3. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    If your only looking for dark meat quick then use meat ducks as above said. You could use roosters, don't use meat birds to produce darker meat use common heritage breeds like Jersey Giants, Black Australorps, and others, but it will take 6+ months to get a have good meat bird. The older the rooster more dark meat yell have but after 1+ year he might start to smell. If you know someone who can capon your in good shape.

4. DStewart PDX

May 25, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    That's hilarious! I got muscovies last year to be meat birds. I took one of the drakes at 11 weeks, and he was pretty delicious. I've kept one drake and three ducks to see if they would make a sustainable backyard flock. So no one else has been eaten yet, and they are pushing ten months now. Maybe I'll just try to be patient with the scovies. I just thought a small batch of chickens would stock my freezer until the muscovies get rolling. Maybe someone will start nesting in the next few weeks. Thanks.

5. Cooper Farms

Cooper Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
  6. DStewart PDX

May 25, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Well, that would be dark meat, for sure.

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I agree on the muscovies. Best dark meat EVER. We process as many as 60 sometimes and stock the freezer. DELICIOUS!!!! :drool

8. DStewart PDX

May 25, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    kuntrygirl, the muscovy that I processed last year was a pain in the ***! It was so difficult to pluck I ended up skinning it, and then getting the guts out was hard, too. Any tips?

9. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with ducks. I'm thinking we will get some this spring too.

For chickens, of the young cockerels I've processed, I think the Easter Egger was the darkest.

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Tell me about it. You just gave THE BEST tip. SKINNING!!! :lau

As far as getting the guts out, that was not as bad as trying to pluck. I was ready to throw my hands up in the air and say forget this. :/ I always go to You Tube to see how others do it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8199093_gut-duck.html

I hope this helps. When you decide to process another one, let me know how it goes. :D

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by