1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Best Breed for Egg Laying?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Rooster Cogburn, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn Songster

Aug 12, 2010
    S.W. Washington State
    As far as eggs per year, what breed is the champ? From the reading I've done, it seems to be the Rhode Island Red. What do you think? [​IMG]:jumpy

2. conroy

conroy Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    So far I only have 3 breeds laying... BR, Australorp and EE out of them the Australorp is the best layer... hope that helps

3. patman75

patman75 Songster 9 Years

I believe sex links are the current champ. They go by Isa Browns, golden comets, golden sexlinks. 6-7 eggs a week, somewhere linke 330 eggs a year.

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Red sex links seem to be the best. I picked up that info by watching the "How many eggs today" thread here on BYC.

5. moondog425

moondog425 Chirping

Jul 29, 2010
    tn
    I think Leghorns were bred for laying.

6. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Our black sex links would be tough to beat; almost an egg every day for each...

7. atimme

atimme Songster

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    Sex links or leghorns. The RIR's will do ok, but if you want production hens go with one of the other two.[​IMG]

8. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn Songster

Aug 12, 2010
    S.W. Washington State
    Thanks for the replies. I have six chicks and want to end up with four laying hens. I doubt if I'll get four from my six. Assuming I'll be adding to the flock when they're old enough to tell apart.[​IMG]

9. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Songster

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Do you mean just pure breeds or are you counting the hybrid types too? I have ISA Browns and Black Rocks and they're very prolific (and very pretty birds too) but they're not really proper breeds. From what I understand the hybrid birds don't breed true so there's not much point trying to breed from them.

Leghorns are fab layers though. I was recently given three older ones that were being retired from a local farm and I can't believe how many eggs I'm getting from them. They're great and they're very nice looking birds too. Quite small as well, so they probably won't eat as much as my fat piggy Marans who are costing me a fortune in pellets!

10. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn Songster

Aug 12, 2010
    S.W. Washington State
    I don't care if they're pure breeds or not. Just looking for egg makers.
    This is a great site for this kind of info!
    Thanks for the help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: