Best breed for first time backyard chickens in close-quarter neighborhood

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LamarshFish, Mar 31, 2015.

1. LamarshFish

LamarshFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2015
    Hey guys. I always wanted backyard chickens, and I just moved into a new house, so I planned on doing it soon. I have these chukar partridges that are laying eggs, and I think it's cool, so it's pretty much prompted me to get a coop together and buy some chickens.

I have no idea what breeds I should consider. I know of a few common ones. I want good egg layers, but I also would like to avoid any breeds that are noisy hens. I live in a neighborhood that has houses in pretty close proximity (actually, about as close as you can get to others houses). I by no means live in the country, in fact, it's a semi urban area. Nonetheless, chickens are allowed so long as they are not a public nuisance. Almost all of my neighbors have dogs that bark, so I figure as long as I stay under that decibel standard I should be ok.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated, as well as any advice on how to avoid problems with neighbors.

Thanks!

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I would recommend Black Australorps. Not only are they extremely hardy and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds, but the are very calm and gentle (potential lap pets), and relatively quiet (as chickens go). Other breeds that I've had that are also quiet (as chickens go) are Silkies, Brahmas, and Orpingtons.

3. LamarshFish

LamarshFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2015
    Thank you! Brahmas and Silkies were the two I had been considering, so that is very helpful. I will definitely consider those others.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

5. SammileeChickie

SammileeChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    I live in the same kind of a neighborhood. Houses all pretty close together and backyards aren't that big. Decent/small. But chickens are allowed :) I have a barred rock and Easter egger (or commonly mistaken Ameraucana) and they have been good so far. Haven't gotten any eggs yet though because they are only six weeks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by