1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

best breed for first-time hatcher?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jcskowronek, May 27, 2016.

1. jcskowronek

jcskowronek Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    decatur, ga
    I am planning to begin to hatch chickens in the future, but I have never hatched any before. I want to start by hatching a few batches of easier breeds, and I was wondering what breeds that would be. I will be hatching them next spring, but i want to have all my information together before then.

thanks,
    julia

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I will say that mixed are some of the easiest hatches I've had. They are also the least expensive to do your first hatches with until you perfect your technique. As for pures, you'd have to figure what purposes you want them for. Egg laying, meat birds, dual purpose birds, pet and or show quality. Your climate should be a factor some are better for cold, some extreme heat. Some are not good at being confined. (Spitzhaubens)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by