Best breed for good-natured roosters?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by countrygirl345, Jan 29, 2017.

1. countrygirl345

countrygirl345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2014
    Michigan
    I am interested in getting a full sized, not bantam rooster for my flock. Of the roosters I have had in the past, all but 1 have been mean and started attacking me after they got to a certain age. I'm not sure what breed is best for a large rooster, and I don't want to get another only to end up getting rid of it when it becomes a hazard. Does anyone have any ideas? What were the breeds of your favorite roosters? Any advice is appreciated. I hate falling in love with them as chicks only to have them turn on me later.

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    My favorite rooster was a Buff Orpington. He was the sweetest!

I've found that roosters that are raised under a dominant male tend to not become aggressive - although a lot simply has to do with breeding and temperament.

If you are starting from scratch with males and will be raising them from chicks, I'd suggest getting a few. If one is going to get mean, it will probably be the dominant male and around breeding age (18-24 weeks). Once they reach 24 weeks without showing aggression I consider them "good". Raising them in a group should certainly give you at least one that doesn't become aggressive in more docile breeds.

1 person likes this.
  3. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I had a feedstore-quality Brahma rooster who was the biggest, most gentle rooster I've ever owned. Never showed any aggression towards me at all.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by