BEST Breed for laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nadams4, Jan 30, 2008.

1. nadams4

nadams4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    Ohio
    I have had several breeds of layers: cochins, leghorns, sexlinks, cherry eggers, wyndots.

However in the spring I want to get a new breed of layers and cull the older chickens once the new ones begin to lay.

Does anyone have a great personal experience with a particular breed that they would recommend??

Thanks!!

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    My Australorps were the best laying for me even right through the winter. [​IMG]

3. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    My Naked Necks have been my best layers so far. My Naked Necks and my Rocks. I've had White Rocks and Barred Rocks, and both were excellent layers, and the eggs are huge. The NNs have better personalities though.

4. nadams4

nadams4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    Ohio
    4-H Chicken Mom~~

I am also from Ohio...summit county to be exact. Do you get your chicks from a hatchery, if so which one? Have you ever heard of meyer hatchery??

5. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    good layers I think are rocks!

I hav never had a sussex but is also good layer & alittle meater!

http://www.meyerhatchery.com/ it is in Ohio and from what I hear they are pretty good! Deliver fast & healthy chicks!

They don't have as many breeds as ideal (were I normally go)

6. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Of my RSLs, only 1 takes a day off, and it's usually close to 2 weeks between her days off. The eggs are usually large to jumbo in size, and these girls are only about 10-11 months old.

I just looked at the chart for this month, I've gotten 121 eggs from 4 hens. At that rate, each girl would lay an average of 355 eggs per year.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi nadams4 Yes I have used Meyer hatchery many times. I live about an hour from them. (Lorain county) I pick my chicks up. I have ordered from Ideal and Murray. I don't care for Murray's quality. There service and chicks came healthy and all, I just kept getting the worst silver and golden laced birds you ever saw. Ideal is a little better. What Meyer lacks in selection, their quality has been much better for me. [​IMG]

8. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    RIR's are the best in my opinion, for calmness, egg laying is superb. My girlies have not stopped all winter. Egg a day, every day. Hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by