1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best Breed for Newbie

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by minna, Feb 18, 2009.

1. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    Dh and I decided to try our hand at some meat birds this spring. We get all other meat our own stash, so why not chicken. [​IMG] I've looked and did some researching, but you can't get any better than personal experience. What would be the best breed for us to start with? I order from Privett Hatchery and I don't know ther difference between slow cornish, fast cornish, black broiler and red broiler. I just want some chickens to feed, kill and freeze. [​IMG]

2. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    I would go with a Jumbo Cornish X. they are fast growing and ready for dressing in about 6-8 weeks... I raised jersey giants, they are slow to mature( about one and a half to 2 years to mature), but are bigger than any other chicken..... but if you are looking for a bird that is fast growing then I would with the Jumbo corish X....

3. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    Thanks. I think we are going to get some Jersey Giants just to breed, but I want the Cornish for quick processing. I need to do some reading up b/f I order, this is all new to me.

4. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Cornish X's are great- I'd start out small with your first batch, and raise them in a tractor. You won't be disappointed!

5. ingv8700

ingv8700 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Pequot Lakes, MN
    We started out with jumbo X's and we had big birds and then we did some more in the spring last year and they were a little bit smaller, but as said above you will not be disapointed, [​IMG]

6. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I did my first batch of Cornish X's last Fall. Was definetly a learning expirience, but I agree you won't be dissappointed. If you raise all your other meat, you'll figure it out. I would also suggest a tractor. Read through the posts in this section and you will find a ton of information.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be as satisfied with your home grown chicken as you are with all your other home grown meat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by