Best Breed for Newbie ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Ilovemy3babies, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Ilovemy3babies

Ilovemy3babies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Hi everyone

We are getting ready start our backyard chicken journey, our coop,is pretty much ready, few minor things need to be done, and then we'll be ready for Hens. We are wanting to start with pullets, we want to get 4,but would like to start out with 3 for now to see how it is, and add one more later. Originally everyone who we spoke with in our area mention getting Rhode Island Reds ( my son's teacher) she has 20 of them, and they do well i our area, so we we were set on getting RIR,and then one more person mentioned BO's, so not we are not sure if we should get all RIR's, or one one RiR, one BO, and one BR ?, I just don't know, but we need calm, friendly non aggressive, and low noise making chickens (lol, neighbors don't know about them ), I know I'm asking for too much, but I figured it was worth asking .

Thank you !

2. TheRookie

TheRookie Chillin' With My Peeps

RIRs are loud lol so I wouldn't recommend those if you want quiet.

3. sheena85

sheena85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    Hart County,Kentucky
    We have a Cochin Hen and she is very quite ! not sure if it's just her oro that breed but we never even know's when she lays bc she is so quite...we love her ! [​IMG]

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

What are your goals for these chickens, besides them being quiet and friendly?

5. 98cummins

98cummins Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2012
    Hinckley, ohio
    I'm new to chickens too but had many of the same questions.
    I got 5 red sex link pullets
    they are quiet
    friendly
    and make a lot of brown eggs (still waiting for my firs egg)[​IMG]
    I got mine all at the same time so I didn't have to worry about introducing a new hen to an existing flock
    where do do live ?( weather hot / cold?) some breads do better in hot or cold
    good luck

6. Ilovemy3babies

Ilovemy3babies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    We are in TX , it's mostly hot here, with a few months of cold weather,or I should a hand full of day it may goes to below freezing. My son's teacher has all RIR's and said they do pretty well, which is why we were considering them.

We are looking for them as pets, and also as egg layers, but I do have 3 small children, and a dog, whom we will keep away from the chickens. We are breaking the law a bit,as our neighborhood does not allow chickens at all ( but yet we are allowed to have horses [​IMG],)which is why I wanted quiet ones.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

That's going to be tough...I don't know of certain breeds that are quiet but you may find individual chickens that are, of any breed. I like the Black Austrolorps for docility, great laying and hardiness...if you are going to have them as pets, you want a breed that may live awhile and a pet that lays eggs while you have it. BAs will fill that requirement....never really considered any of my chickens louder than average, so my BAs were never loud...even my roos were pretty quiet.

I like RIRs and I don't find them loud or flighty at all and those that I have had were quite sweet in nature. One wanted to roost on the porch and I'd have to carry her back to the coop each night...she seemed to like this and would close her eyes and relax. She also wanted to be right with me when I was in the yard. In all the flocks I've had there has been at least one or more RIRs and they were all sweet natured, quiet and great layers. Hardy too. Even my RIR roo was a great guy....couldn't find a better flock master and such a gentleman with the ladies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by