Best breed for Roo??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by megg902, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. megg902

megg902 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Bastrop
    I have 14 pullets and what looks to be 3 possible roo's. 1 white leghorn, 1 barred rock and 1 RIR. Any advice on which will make the best combination? My pullets are a mixed age group of 1 leghorn, 1 campine, the rest are barred rocks and rir's. Im only wanting to keep 2 of the 3 roos..... so who needs to go??

Edit: Just realized i accidently posted this in the wrong spot!!! Sorry, if i could figure out how to delete it i would......

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    If you are basing the decision mostly on temperament, Leghorns have a reputation of being a bit skittish compared to the others. Also based on your interactions with them, you probably have an idea of which ones are more tolerant of handling, etc.

I think the hens will accept who ever you chose.

3. creekrats

creekrats Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    I have two BR roos. One is about six months older than the other. The oldest the BEST roo. He lets the kids pick him up and is so docile. The young one is like some whirlwind. He runs around like crazy and won't the the kids anywhere near him if possible.

4. megg902

megg902 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Bastrop
    They are still pretty young to have a great idea of how well they will be handled. The leghorn is about 8-10 weeks and the barred rock and rir are about 2-3 weeks behind him. Im perfectly ok with them being skittish of me, not looking for a buddy. But interested to see if anyone had an opinion on breeds that may work better together?

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Duplicate in breeds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by