best breed for semi comercial eggs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 500592, Jul 18, 2010.

1. 500592

500592 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    hi i was wondering what kind of breed should i get i am planin on gettin 150 chickens but dont know wich ones to choose they must be winter hardy and good layers thanks

2. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    There's a couple of charts on the forum somewhere. I'll start you out with a few breeds to ponder: Rocks, Orpingtons, Wyandottes, RI Reds, NH Reds. These are the more commonly available that fit your description. Once you see the charts(s) you'll be able to look at the more rare breeds and think it over.

3. 500592

500592 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    thanks i justed hatched 16 RIR crossed with golden comets they are huge and only 2 weeks old i will post pics

4. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    If you want the best egg layer in the world then get white leghorns. They beat any other egg layer I think. They are a little flighty but they lay nice white eggs.

5. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    Leghorns, Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Golden Comets. My black Stars are also great layers!

6. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    It also depends on the color egg you want. If you want a mixture then get la few different laying breeds. I know some people who dont eat brown eggs and just eat white. I think that is hilarious!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  7. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    I've heard leghorns are the all-time best for egg production, but don't do so well in the cold because of their light weight and big combs.

I chose my flock mainly based on cold-hardiness and egg production, the ones that came most highly recommended to me were black stars, red stars, and white rocks. I also got EEs, speckled sussex and brahmas, though I don't expect the production to be as high with those.

8. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Can you dub leghorn combs so that they dont get frost bit?

9. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    We stayed around 0 last winter not as cold as some but not very warm [​IMG] our leghorns did fine...better than some of those cold hardy birds.
    Leghorns and Sex links by all the names they have been given are our tried and true layers that we use for our egg sale layers.
    So you plan to get 150 chickens? Better build the coops for around 500..trust me I know [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by