Best breed for small chicken tractor

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dgrundy14, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Dgrundy14

Dgrundy14 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2016
    Leeds, Alabama
    I'm a first time chicken owner. I have a small brand new chicken tractor and want to make sure I pick the perfect birds. I want them to be friendly and good layer. I'm thinking about sex links and really like the black sex link. I want 3 females. Should I get a black, buff and red sex or should I stick with one type? Is the sex link a good beginner bird?

Please help, would love to have input from knowledgeable chicken lovers. Thanks so much for this forum so I can learn the best way to take care of my ladies and have a happy coop!

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Yes, you can get an assortment of Sex-links. As far as I know I believe Buff and Red sex-links are pretty much the same. Also if your looking to raise for egg production then I think sex-links are the breed for you.

3. Dgrundy14

May 28, 2016
    Leeds, Alabama
    Thanks and are the pretty friendly? Because I would love to have them as pets besides just egg layers.

4. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Well, these birds have had good and bad reviews as far as friendliness goes. I have one and she is the sweetest member in my flock (well the nicest to humans). Always walking by the front door when I free range them (or the back door) and popping her head in the window trying to get in [​IMG].

5. Dgrundy14

May 28, 2016
    Leeds, Alabama
    Since I'm only getting 3 chicks from a great breeder, I should be able to spend time with them and tame them, right?

Below I am trying to import an image of my tractor coop that I will be using. Thanks for all your help!
    [​IMG]

6. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Yes, I think you should be able to. That's a nice looking coop![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by