Best breed for small flock for laying

rkent

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Kinder, LA
What is the best breed of chicken for production of large eggs? Color of egg doesn't matter. I like the Ideal 256, a sex link type, or a production red.

The best layer is the Isa Brown.They are a red sex-linked. I have 3 hens that have not missed a day this year. I live in Michigan and it is cold. There are 3 jumbo eggs every morning at 8 AM. The only places that you can buy then are Randy Burky and www.townlinehatchery.com

My Black Australorps lay every day, sometimes an extra in a 36 hour period. In winter. There isn't a production bird out there that does any better than that I don't think.

But I also don't want white eggs, when I can have brown.

Quote:
Yes, you got the right idea, Ideal 256 are egg laying machines of white eggs (I had them, they never jumped my 4 feet fence)) and not as flighty as leghorns.

I also had black sex links, they were just as good layers of brown eggs as 256's.

I am not going to dispute what kind of sex links are "the best".

To claim that one is better than the other, one needs to keep all possible sexlinks, then do a scientific research as to "which are the best".

Some people on this board are claiming that the breed they are raising is "the best".

I am far away from it, trying to be objective.

You are on the right track, go for 236's and a sex link which fits your fancy (color perhaps?) All sex links are darn good egglayers, they are better than pure breeds due to the F1 (first generation) hybrid vigor.

Every genetics expert will agree with it.

By the way I am not expert in genetics, but I know basic principles.

Back
Top Bottom