Best breed for small flock for laying

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rkent, Mar 3, 2009.

1. rkent

rkent Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Kinder, LA
    What is the best breed of chicken for production of large eggs? Color of egg doesn't matter. I like the Ideal 256, a sex link type, or a production red.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Ideal 256... I have leghorns that are laying large white eggs almost everyday.

3. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    The best layer is the Isa Brown.They are a red sex-linked. I have 3 hens that have not missed a day this year. I live in Michigan and it is cold. There are 3 jumbo eggs every morning at 8 AM. The only places that you can buy then are Randy Burky and www.townlinehatchery.com

4. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    My Road island red lays eggs every day and is a sweet heard, My Delaware also lays all the time and will sit in my lap.

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    My Black Australorps lay every day, sometimes an extra in a 36 hour period. In winter. There isn't a production bird out there that does any better than that I don't think.

But I also don't want white eggs, when I can have brown.

6. rkent

rkent Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Kinder, LA
    I ordered 20 Isa Brown pullets and 5 males this morning.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  7. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Yes, you got the right idea, Ideal 256 are egg laying machines of white eggs (I had them, they never jumped my 4 feet fence)) and not as flighty as leghorns.

I also had black sex links, they were just as good layers of brown eggs as 256's.

I am not going to dispute what kind of sex links are "the best".

To claim that one is better than the other, one needs to keep all possible sexlinks, then do a scientific research as to "which are the best".

Some people on this board are claiming that the breed they are raising is "the best".

I am far away from it, trying to be objective.

You are on the right track, go for 236's and a sex link which fits your fancy (color perhaps?) All sex links are darn good egglayers, they are better than pure breeds due to the F1 (first generation) hybrid vigor.

Every genetics expert will agree with it.

By the way I am not expert in genetics, but I know basic principles.

8. chicken master

chicken master Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    South carolina
    You don't want a hybrid they will be laid out in the first years if not sooner. I would sugesst rhode island red,plymoth rock, orpingtons, or leghorns.

9. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    a couple of hatcheries have their own "super egg machine" hybrids, but I believe the world record is held by an Australorp - 364 eggs in 365 days.

10. rkent

rkent Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Kinder, LA
    Thanks for the information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by