Best breed for small flock for laying

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rkent, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkent

rkent Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Kinder, LA
    What is the best breed of chicken for production of large eggs? Color of egg doesn't matter. I like the Ideal 256, a sex link type, or a production red.

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Red sex-link and Australorp are my top picks for egg production. The Black Aussies are my top notch for both egg laying and an awesome personality.

3. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Your production breeds and leghorns are specifically bred to lay eggs. They are not as big as the dual purpose breeds and they eat less. You asked for the best egg layers of large eggs and without a doubt the leghorn breed (as far as purebred, which I prefer) is the leghorn. White leghorns are the most common and will lay over 200 eggs a year. So if it is eggs, the other breeds may be good for others, but it is a fact, without a doubt, the breeds designed for egg laying will lay much more over their lifetime with less feed.

4. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    I love my Sex-links (red and gold, the blacks aren't quite as good of egg layers though). Good egg layers (nice big eggs) and very friendly and docile (at least the hens).

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    duplicate threads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by