Best Breed for someone new to all this

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JWS2, Mar 9, 2013.

1. JWS2

JWS2 New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    Rio Grande, Ohio
    What is the best breed for someone just starting out? My grandfather raised chickens many years ago and I am trying to get into it. This will mainly be a hobby and for eggs. Thanks in advance.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Welcome.

If just starting out, I would use a mutipurpose breed that tolerant of a wide range of conditions. Several heritage breeds fit that well. By multipurpose I mean they produce reasonable amounts of meat and eggs. Such birds should be able to handle being confined as well as thrive in a free-range setting with predator management.

Look into American Dominique.

Hen
    [​IMG]

Roosters are lighter in color. Chicks can be sexed at hatch. They can also rear their own offspring (can go broody).

1 person likes this.
  3. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    You will also be happy with Buff Orps and Plymoth Rocks. Mild mannered, great in hot/cold climates, and very good egg layers!

Buff Orps (beige), Plymoth Rocks (black/white speckled), also shown 2 Rhode Island Reds and a Golden Comet Roo [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. JWS2

JWS2 New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    Rio Grande, Ohio
    Thanks you all for the responses. I appreciate it.

5. meganbrittany06

meganbrittany06 New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    Vinton, Ohio
    Good info. Thanks! [​IMG]

6. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    All the longtime people have favorite breeds that they recommend.

As one newb to another I can only share my thinking process:

1. There are so many kinds of chickens available that there is no point to having a chicken that's looks I don't like. Make a list of the prettiest breeds -- and if you're only having hens make sure that the hens are pretty, not just the roosters. Different people have different tastes. I like my chickens black, white, and black and white but dislike red chickens. I'm especially fond of lacing, the Colombian pattern, and feathered feet but cannot stand the narrow striped on Barred Rocks and Dominiques -- a flock of them makes me dizzy. [​IMG]

2. Find out which chickens do well in your climate. I live in the steamy southeast and discovered that some of the birds on my pretty chicken list have been bred for cold-hardiness in northern climes and don't do well in the heat. At the same time I was doing this research a few years ago another newb in the Pacific Northwest was doing the same thing and she was told that feather-footed breeds do poorly in her wet climate and constant mud.

3. Decide how important various factors such as egg-laying, foraging ability, general hardiness, usefulness as stew hens after retirement, etc. are to you and if you prefer an active, alert, independent, but possibly standoffish temperment or a calm, docile, cuddly, but more dependent temperment.

4. Resolve to experiment. Now that my town's policies have changed I'm hoping to get some combination of Delaware, Australorp, and dark or light Brahma depending on availability. Then I'll see how I like the hens on my short list and find out if I need to start over with the benefit of that experiment or if I'm happy with my choices.

7. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    Buff orps and rhode island reds are both good beginner breeds

8. JWS2

JWS2 New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    Rio Grande, Ohio
    Thanks for all the input everyone. We ended up getting 6 Red Pullets (just a TSC mix) about 6 weeks ago. I think that 3 of them are RIR. Then a family member gave us 5 random chickens (sex and breed to be determined, about the same age) after they had got some from TSC and decided it was to much for them to deal with. Pretty sure at least two of them are roosters. Then this past weekend we got a Buff Orpington hen and rooster, close to the same age as everyone else. Anyways, thanks for all the info everyone! [​IMG]

9. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    Post pics!!!

10. Rowdie

Rowdie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    ChickenCreekRanch.com
    Whatever they have at the feed store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by