Best breed for urban farm?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nickeechickee, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Nickeechickee

Nickeechickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    I'm hoping this is the right place.

We are planning on getting about 4 hens for the backyard this spring (well chicks or pullets that would grow into hens, LOL). The idea is to provide fresh eggs for the family. I need something that is a good layer, relatively docile (we are chicken noobs and have kids that are for sure going to want to help feed them treats and such), and can handle the colder Ohio temperatures.

Suggestions?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Oh, there are soooo many choices [​IMG]

With a few exceptions, most chickens handle the cold quite well.

As far as docile goes, my Buff Orpington and Plymouth Barred Rock are both very easy to pick up and are good layers as well.

3. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    there are so many to chose from!
    lets see,,
    • Barred Rock
    • Plymoth rock
    • red star
    • delaware
    • white leghorn
    • rhode island red
    • new hampshire
    • speckled sussex
    • australorp

there are so many more, but thats a start.
    i would go with the leghorn, good layers. and barred rock, ours are ALWAYS laying. :)

4. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    You should get Naked Necks (Turkens) hens they are the best. My naked necks do well here in CT and it snows/cold in winter. Naked Necks are very friendly and don't catch sickness easy compared to most other chicken breeds.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  5. Nickeechickee

Nickeechickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    I had to google naked necks, never heard of them before. My Pet chicken recommended the Plymouth Rocks, the Rhode Island Reds, and the Astrolorps when I did their matching thing, but I figured it might be best to talk to some real people too.

Are certain breeds more "social" than others? I don't want a "needy" chicken but I do want to be able to feed them, clean the coop, pick them up to take them outside to the run, etc. without getting attacked. And do some require a bigger flock than others? Until we can get city laws changed we will have to stay small to stay under the radar.

6. c2chicks

c2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Lots of "outlaw chicken keepers" here in Ohio ;) I'm in NE Ohio and have 3 red sex links. They are wonderful! They're cold hardy (they play in the snow), great layers (getting 18/week from just the 3) , friendly and (most important) quiet. I got the sex links so I could be sure I wouldn't get a rooster. They're not as beautiful as some of the other great choices out there, but they are working out really well for us.

7. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    I have like 15 naked necks in total but here's a few I have .. Getting more next spring from a great breeder.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Buff Orps and Barred Rocks are great "starter breeds" because they're reliably amiable birds. I love having some of them in my flock.

You could also check out Henderson's Handy Dandy Chicken Breed Chart: www.Ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

9. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    the friendliness mostly depends on how you raise them. if you handle them alot and they get used to you, then you will be fine.
    I just hatched a batch of 7 in September, i handled them pretty much 24/7. couldnt get enough of them, when they were in the growing up stage, they were completely terrifed of me. So i thought i had failed as a friendly bunch.
    when they grew up a little, and were outside, oh man i cant go anywhere without them. i the morning when i let them out i have to pet each and every one of them, and then when i go back inside they trip me over all the way there.

these breeds are delaware/light sussex
    highly recommend those! great layers and if you end up with a cock on accident, nice and meaty,[​IMG]

10. Adorkable

Adorkable Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    Hello. I can highly recommend the Australorp and Barred Rock. As far as the Rhode Island Reds I would not recommend them if you are obtaining your pullets from a hatchery. They have proven to cause too much chicken drama for me lol. Good luck :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by