1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best Breed For....?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 14RiceM, Feb 20, 2014.

1. 14RiceM

14RiceM Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello all! Thanks for taking the time to check this out. Next year I'll be up at a summer camp/ranch that my cousins live at, and they said I could donate some chickens!!! This means I could get a rooster and whatever breed(s) I want!!!!:D Well I am looking for a good free ranger, very friendly hens AND roosters, docile and potentially handle-able, cold-hardy, and not too stupid so they can avoid predators as much as possible. Please let me know! They don't have to be good at egg laying or at mothering:)

2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    My Welsummers love to forage. I don't have a wellie roo though, so I am not sure on their temperament.

3. GaryDean26

GaryDean26 Chicken Czar Premium Member

Dec 22, 2011
    McAlester, OK
    My Coop
    The Basque hens or Euskal Oiloa are my favorite breed for very friendly hens AND roosters. They Free Range really well and come to the USA from Canada, so they probably do pretty cold hardy (although I don't see much cold weather in Texas). They aren't the best layers, but do lay big eggs and are smart and have survival skill on the range.

[​IMG]
    This is a Basque Rooster.

Are there any Amish Auctions in your area? My brother picked a lot of his chickens at the Amish Auctions in his area. They were mixed breeds but well suited for his needs (i.e. hardy, good foragers, etc.)

For Docile and potentially handle-able my favorite breed is the Breda Gueldre. My Breda free range all day, but I am not sure that I would really call them a free range breed. They have booted legs (feathered) and look funny scratching for grain and are very laid back and carefree. They are so elegant that I always think they belong in a Show Cage, but they actually do quite well on the farm. The Breda ARE good layers so if you don't want good layers (ha.ha.ha) I would go with the Basque out of the two.

[​IMG]
    And a Breda Guedre

Some other good breeds for what you describe are Australorp, Barnevelder, Dominique, Dorking, Faverolles, Java, Jersey Giant, Lanshan, Orphington, Plymouth Rock, Russian Orloff, and the Welsummer.

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    I'm with GaryDean. Spent a lot of time studying the Euskal Oiloa. Great breed. Supposed
    to be the friendliest chicken in the world. Even the chicks are super friendly. In the Basque
    language Eusal Oiloa means "The Basque hen". They are also a "farmer's chicken" from
    Basque in the region of Spain. Hardy birds who forage well. An enthusiastic group of
    breeders here in the USA who want to get their breed out into the public's hands. The
    birds are gold and white with striping on the feathers. Real pretty. They lay well but
    you don't care about that, smile. A real dual purpose fowl, especially if there will be children around.
    Skyline Poultry is in the USA and one of the original importers of the EO from Canada to the US.
    http://shop.skylinepoultry.com/

Here ya go! Here's the BYC EO thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/510045/euskal-oiloa-basque-thread/3080

I see Sebrightsrock http://blackwalnutfarms.webs.com/ has EO's and is in Quakertown, PA.
    Probably other listers live in PA also!
    Here is the Pennsylvania Unite thread.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/248345/pennsylvania-unite/36130#post_12869013
    With various breeds of chicks available now.
    Best,
    Karen and the Light Sussex in western PA, USA.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  5. 14RiceM

14RiceM Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never even heard of those two! Wow, the things I keep learning are great:) Thanks so much for responding, they sound awesome and I will certainly look into them!!!! And the roosters are super friendly also?

6. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Yes, both sexes are very friendly.
    Best,
    Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by