Best Breed Of chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by harmony farm, Jan 28, 2017.

1. harmony farm

harmony farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    Victoria australia
    Hi All

Couple of queries.

I have chickens and I have incubated eggs , but would like to try for it to happen naturally with the bird, anybody any suggestions on best breed to get

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

My austrolorp gets broody every year, sometimes twice, but my other austrolorp never went broody her whole life.Sometimes it just depends. But i hear Cochins get broody a lot. I hope this helped!

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Silkies, and bantam and standard cochins.

5. pineapple416

pineapple416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    Our breeds that go broody all the time are our, Orpington, Java, and Silkie hens, but there are many others that will. Most heritage type breeds that haven't been bred to lay eggs every day are good brooder and mothers, though this isn't always the case. Hope you have good luck with hatching!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Lots of folks have silkies just to use as natural incubators. The breeder raised ones usually have the instincts and hormones to do so. The hatchery silkies are less prone because hatcheries want eggs from them, and try to breed "broodiness" out of them.

With serious broody breeds you can get fertile eggs of any breed you want and trade them for whatever the broody is currently sitting on. They will raise chicks like their own. Of course a larger breed can cover more eggs but, silkies are very persistent.

7. harmony farm

harmony farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    Victoria australia
    Thanks everyone

Thing is I breed my isa browns with a Buff Orpington , wonder if they may become broody, I know isa browns don't,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by