Best breed of chicks to get

Cluky

Songster
Apr 13, 2012
Chicago
So I live in Chicago. I have been researching chickens for at least several months, so I think I am almost ready (and phyched up) to get some chicks to start raising (3-4 would be perfect)

My question is for Chicago weather - hot summers, cold, to sometimes bitterly cold winters, and gusting winds...what would be good breeds to consider? I would like to get all of the girls different however, not sure which would be happy in this type of extremes.

Last edited:
I live in southwestern Pennsylvania, and my Plymouth rocks LOVE the snow... They run around eating it. They don't seem to enjoy hot weather but they've survived so far.

Stick with small combed breeds if you're worried about the cold weather. Chanteclers, Wyandottes, Brahmas, and Easter Eggers all have small combs. My Cochins don't seem to bothered by our cold weather, but they aren't fans of summer either. As long as your coop is dry and draft free, most chickens do very well in the cold. Gold luck!

I live in southwestern Pennsylvania, and my Plymouth rocks LOVE the snow... They run around eating it. They don't seem to enjoy hot weather but they've survived so far.
Wow my girls are the total opposites ( Rhode Island Reds and White Leghorns ) Probably because in the summer they get to go tromp around and find bugs
But one of my Rhode Island Red girls goes right through the deep snow immersing her entire legs in snow then looks to me for pity when as her legs turn bright pink...of course i do tho - she is just so cute!

You can see what breeds I have in my signature, but personally I find my Barred Rock and Buff Orpingtons to be the most accepting of winter. Although all will come out and forage, they are nearly always outside. They don't seem bothered by it at all.

Back
Top Bottom