BEST BREED OF GOAT FOR A BACKYARD FARM

BackyardAnita

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 18, 2012
I have been looking into getting goats. I'm going to get one or two goats but I don't know what breed.
What are goats good for other than milk and goat cheese?
What is a friendly, cute, breed of goat?

Best breed of goat for a backyard farm?

We like the Nigerian Dwarf goats. Not only are they small, cute and friendly (with the proper handling), they are also a good backyard goat as they produce a good amount of milk and eat a lot less than the larger breeds.

I am a lamancha person. I have had mini-manchas and regular lamanchas. I prefer the standard lamancha rather than the mini. My current herd is much more quiet than my minis were. I was always worried about bothering my neighbors when I had minis as they were rather loud. My goats right now barely make a sound. They are easy to keep and produce a ton of milk. They will eat your garden waste and just be a joy to have. Goats are my favorite farm animal and lamanchas are by far my favorite breed.

PYGMY GOATS!!!! I free range my pygmy nanny
cool.png
~~

I am new to the goat world as well. After picking several goat owners brains, I have decided on Nigerian Dwarfs. I am getting two doelings next month (if all goes well with the kidding). Mom is due to kid this Friday and the other next Wednesday. I am super excited, but also nervous. We have a problem with coyotes and fox on our farm. I have had several recommendations from others to buy a livestock dog ASAP, but I'm not sure how to train them to protect. Natural instinct or will I need to invest in a trainer??

If you decide to get a LGD, first do your research. Read up on how to interact with your dog. They require different treatment than your average pet as far as how you react to negative behaviour and such. Second, make sure you get your dog from a working home. You want a dog that comes from working lines and is around livestock before it comes to your property. You don't have to train them to guard. What you do have to train them for is to stay within their fence (some are real wanderers), and not to go after things like chickens. I am new to LGDs but we have had a great time with our puppies, now 7 months old. They have already been a huge asset to our farm and I am thrilled we got them.

they are good for meat.

I really like my lamanchas and nubians. Good milk. And they are very sweet!

Java! haha shes hiding.

when the weather is nice they chase the cars. You see java in there? the black one

Jane is the earless gal IN the feeder. she is due to have her first kids any day now. cant wait to see how her milk tastes!

Goat cheese!! It was the best cheese i have ever tasted, this was our first attempt out of many! (of course after this we strained it)

Snickers, the mother to the two below. (and of course, we have boers in with out dairy goats)

The one in front is a wether so we are going to eat him. We have never tried nubian meat so we are kinda excited!

You definitely need to determine if you want a dairy or meat goat. Either is a great choice, but with a dairy goat, you are going to have to put in the work with milking them. I would love to have dairy goats, but I know that I don't have the time to milk them. I have Myotonic (Fainting) Goats; they are a meat goat. They are fun, friendly and great at eating the grass.

Good to know! Really appreciate all the info. What kind of LGD's do you have? We are also considering llamas. Heck, I may just let the little doelings live inside with us where it is always safe! :)

Back
Top Bottom