Best breed to get :)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DoveStar, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Australorpe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Orpington

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Rhode Island Red

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Silkie

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  5. New Hampshire

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Ameraucana (probably an Easter egger)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Barred Rock

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DoveStar

DoveStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Chandler, AZ
    I will be getting three hens; one will be an australorp, one will be a buff orpingtion and I can't decided on the breed of the last one! They will have to be fairly quiet, be able to live in a somewhat small coop and outdoor run, and LOVE TO CUDDLE! [​IMG] I have to chose one out of these breeds: Australorp, Orpington, Rhode Island Red, Silkie, New Hampshire, Ameraucana (this isn't a hatchery, so probably an Easter egger :/), or Barred Rock. I would love to get eggs, but mainly want them for personality. :) What do you guys think, and why?

2. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    well ill tell you one or the other in any breed you will get loud ones or quit ones or aggressive ones ect....theres is no get one bird and get all the qualiteis you want...just like people..theres killers and passives and rule to why or origin like italians are more quit than french ect....jeff

3. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    no just to add if you get a number of each you can cull the bad ones and have meat in the freezer as it takes 4months at least to find personalites...

4. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Barred Rocks are the best!

5. Chyatt24

Chyatt24 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    I haven't owned them, but I've heard that silkies are very sweet and friendly, so if you want them mainly for personality, I'd say a Silkie :)

6. txredchick

txredchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    I have 3 New Hampshire hens & 6 Black Sex Links - the sex links are so social / friendly.
    Love them all, but Lenny my BSL is by far my favorite - feisty, talkative & loves hugs.

7. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    If you want cuddly pets and some eggs, I would go with Silkies. All breeds of chickens are beautiful, but Silkies are easy to tame and are soft and cuddly and make great pets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by