Best breed to protect my ducks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by treldib, Jul 9, 2010.

1. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    I am looking in to getting a Rooster to protect my flock of four ducks (Black Swedish, Golden 300 Hybrid Layer, Khaki Campbell, and White Layer) from predators. I am in constant fear that a racoon will get them and I'm wondering, What is the biggest, toughest, most overprotective breed of chicken? [​IMG] . I think, when we order some more ducklings we will include a cockerel too. That way he can grow up with ducks and think of them as 'his flock'. Thanks

2. gamechickens

gamechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    game fowl breed for the pit [​IMG] meanest sucker i know. really can only get there eggs on ebay unless you can find a breeder who will sell to you.

3. gamechickens

Jul 6, 2010
    really just get a dog birds sleep at night.

4. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:I have the slowest, laziest dog ever...lol come on, this is a chicken forum, show some enthusiasm!
    Are White Leghorn Roos good?

5. gamechickens

Jul 6, 2010
    seriously get a fighting rooster if thats really what you are looking for. you want protective they are. get a chick and raise then with you ducks n about 11 months you got a protecter. i have a duck wing and he attacks my dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by