Best breed to stay off in-laws porch haha

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ThiefPouter06, Jul 27, 2010.

1. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    My chicken coop is half way between my house and my in laws house (very long distance either way). My first group of chickens (before the racoon) never went to his house. My second group ( brown egg mutts, hatched here) spent most of the day pooping on his porch and eating the dog food. If I got a flightier breed (hamburg, leghorn, buttercup) would there be less of a chance for them to be brave enough to stay on the porch with his three dogs and two cats and grandkids?

2. Campine Lover

Campine Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Moss Beach, CA
    It depends on how you raise the birds. My friend's hamburg is the friendliest thing in the world. Leghorns would be your best bet, if you dont handle them much.

3. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Tell the in-laws to quit feeding the dogs on the porch! Not only are they inviting the chickens over for lunch, but coons, skunks, possums, bears, feral cats, and all other kinds of predators!

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:This is true,

i feed my dogs before daylight and after dark, i have a couple large breed pups that i feed 3 times a day and i bring them in to eat, my home made dog food is just to expensive to feeding wildlife or the chickens.

Of course if they are causing a problem for anyone family or not it is best to fix that before your problems turns into a war.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    "Best breed to stay off in-laws porch haha"

Best breed? The one inside a fence! [​IMG]

6. NEK38583

NEK38583 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Sparta, TN
    Bantams are usually the best to stay close to home, and I have heard polish are good about staying close to home as well. Some bantams lay respectable size eggs (silkies, bantam Salmon Favs, and bantam cochins to name a few) I always kep mines in coops seperate by breedc, but a friend of mines lets hers free range when she is not breeding and she never has any trouble with her bantams going into her neighbors yard, and she said she never had trouble with her polish. I hope that helps.

7. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    Thanks all. I agree they should stop feeding their dogs on the porch. Bugs are another reason. But thats neither here nor there. I like the polish idea. Crevecours and houdan have always been on the top of my list. Sure fencing them in would be the easiest solution but I like my birds to be birds minus leaving them out at night.
    matt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by