1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best breed?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Farmgal10, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Farmgal10

Farmgal10 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2015
    I've ordered Cornish Cross chicks but the chicks are essentially killing each other. I've never seen anything like it before. Are there any other breeds anyone else has had success with? Or do these chicks just need their own little bubble suits for a while?

2. Deise

Deise Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2015
    Riverview Fl
    I've never heard of that either, I have Buff Orpingtons, they are know for their friendly personalities. In fact I heard they get picked on by other breeds. Sorry yours are not getting along.

3. Farmgal10

Nov 4, 2015
    They're trampling each other. I'm sure it's not deliberate but they're pretty top heavy so I'm sure it doesn't take much.

4. Deise

Deise Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2015
    Riverview Fl
    How many do you have?

5. Farmgal10

Nov 4, 2015

6. Deise

Deise Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2015
    Riverview Fl
    Ok that explains it, I've only had 3 chicks at a time. You are going to be busy! Good luck, hope they figure it out.

7. MainerChick

MainerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have it warm enough for them with space enough under the lamps? Piling up and trampling often happens when chicks are trying to get to or away from heat sources. And of course the crosses are so heavy they do a lot of damage in the process. If heat isn't the issue, maybe post a pic of their brooder space to help diagnose?

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    this is what I'm thinking also. I've never lost but 1 or 2 in a batch of 20.

9. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    X 3. How old are they? Where are they being housed and can you post pictures? I've lost very few Cornish X, and those were to heart issues in a sudden heat wave at 6+ weeks of age. They never trampled one another.

10. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Are they really that big at one week old? I still think not giving them feed 24/7 is the main issue. It's probably making them very weak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by