Best Breed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Nov 15, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Once DH and I get our own house an within the next year, He has agreed to let me get some ducks.. I've been going back in forth between what I want.. I want some Calls because their small and their tiny bills are just so cute but I want some Mandarins also because theres just something so captivating about them..
    What other breeds are nice to have and are flashy?

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    The mandarins will need to be kept in an enclosure 24/7 or they will fly away/be easy prey for predators.

Now to answer what is the perfect duck is harder.

What do you want them for?

-egg production
    -cuteness (they all are)
    -meat
    -eye candy

3. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:24/7 penning is no problem.

but im looking for cuteness and eyecandy.. none of the birds I have now are good for anything except my Jerseys so meat and egg production doesnt matter to me.

4. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    the Mandarins won't require permits, but many other eye candy ducks (such as wood ducks) do require permits to keep them in many states. Mandarins are by far the easiest to keep of these for new duck owners. The wild type eye candy ducks are lightly though, so don't plan on holding them, but sitting and watching them is a joy for sure. We have 1 white pair and 3 normal coloration pairs of Mandarins. They are my husbands and are fun to sit and watch just be ducks.

We also have call ducks, and they are cute and friendly too. We have some who free range (1 wing clipped) with our large ducks and they come running when we go outside. Many will eat from our hands too. We also have some we keep penned as they are breeding stock, and don't want them going missing or cross breeding colors.

Here is a good list of (domestic) bantam duck breeds for sale by Holdrreads http://holderreadfarm.com

BANTAM DUCK CLASS

Miniature Silver Appleyard Ducks (sometimes called Mini Appleyard, Bantam Appleyard or Sliver Bantam)

Bluehead Australian Spotted Ducks

Greenhead Australian Spotted Ducks

Silverhead Australian Spotted Ducks

Black East Indie Ducks* (sometimes called East India or East Indian)

Blue East Indie Ducks*

Blue Fawn Call Ducks*

Butterscotch Call Ducks*

Gray (Mallard) Call Ducks*

Pastel Call Ducks*

White Call Ducks*

Miniature Overberg Ducks*

Black Silky Ducks

Dusky Silky Ducks

Gray (Mallard colored) Silky Ducks

Snowy Silky Ducks*

White Silky Ducks

5. pekinsRus

pekinsRus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Pekin's may not be flashy in color, but their personalty goes along WAY! They are smart, funny, cheeky & easy to hold/pet!!! Pekins Rule!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    There is no bad breed of duck. You can't make a mistake.

For eye candy, the Mini Silver Appleyards are pretty and the Black East Indies are really gorgeous, all black with a pronounced beetle wing green shine all over them.

The Runners from a good show breeder are so comical that they are worth having around just to make you laugh. (Hatchery Runners don't usually even look like Runners, so I don't recommend)

If you can afford flight pens, the Wood Ducks are really stunning, but much less likely to get tame.

If you can afford flight cages and want eye candy, take a look at Red Gold Pheasants and Lady Amherst Pheasants.

7. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:You read my mind on the Mini Silver Appleyards and Black East Indies!
    I've never really liked Runners and I've has a Lady Amherst before.. didnt like her much..
    Of the breeds COF posted I like:

Mini Silver Appleyards
    Black East Indies
    Butterscotch Call Ducks
    Pastel Call Ducks
    White Call Ducks
    And the Silky Ducks

Does anyone know of where to get those breeds? I dont even mind hatching eggs! Actually I would probably prefer it just for the bonding factor..

8. HottentotTeal

HottentotTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Mandarin and Wood Ducks look pretty nice, but you can also go for my personal favorite: Hottentot Teals!

[​IMG]

For domestics, I really like the Pekings.

9. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Quote:You read my mind on the Mini Silver Appleyards and Black East Indies!
    I've never really liked Runners and I've has a Lady Amherst before.. didnt like her much..
    Of the breeds COF posted I like:

Mini Silver Appleyards
    Black East Indies
    Butterscotch Call Ducks
    Pastel Call Ducks
    White Call Ducks
    And the Silky Ducks

Does anyone know of where to get those breeds? I dont even mind hatching eggs! Actually I would probably prefer it just for the bonding factor..

You can put in an order now with Holderreads for all of those breeds for 2012. Many right here also have many of what you want, just maybe not all at one breeder. Good choices, you can't go wrong with the tiny cuties.

10. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Their markings are pretty! Are they a Bantam breed? Whats in the dish?
    I think Mandarins are prettier then wood ducks. they just look fuller in the neck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by