Best breed??

Which is a better breed for a small home flock?

• Rhode Island Red

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Silver Laced Wyandottes

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Sheila 3434

Songster
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
I am starting over with my flock and am wondering which breed to go with. This was my first flock and I had them for about 2 1/2 years. I had Rhode Island Reds, SL Wyandottes, and a few guineas. LOVED the fullness of the SLW. Both breeds (SLW & RIR) were very affectionate. However, my SLW most often had their back feathers pecked out and I had egg-eaters (hence the reason I am starting over.) I introduced new chickens into my flock but the egg-eating continued. I will be getting new guineas; but they will be roosted in a separate location with more freedom to roam. My new flock will be in a pen with some freedom in my yard.

My question: Is mixing the breeds a good thing? Is one of these breeds more likely to eat eggs? Is one more dominate than another? I want a flock which is gentle. I live in Texas and both breeds handled our cold weather okay. My RIR would sit; but I never had a SLW try to sit on her eggs. I hatched out three times and enjoyed the experience. I am not interested in using an incubator so nature just takes its course.

I have learned so much with my flock; but hated the egg-eating and balding of my hens. I kept my rooster's claws clipped so I don't really think that was the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will order my new chicks in March so I thought I would see what insight others might have.

I have both. It all depends on what you like for looks.

Both will get along fine. The RIR is more bossy in my experience, while the SLW is quiet and laid back. I can't compare productivity yet, as my RIR JUST started laying on Monday, and my SLW has not started at all yet.

If I were you, I would skip both and go for the barred plymouth rock. They are great layers, dual-purpose and very affectionate. I have not missed a day for over a month from my barred rock girls.

I have never had issues with egg eating. I've heard that once they start, it's hard to get them to stop.

I worked for a year and 1/2 trying to cull out the eaters; but never could get it stopped. I would catch one and remove her and for a while no sign of any more eating. Then it would start back up again. We finally just decided to start over. Hated to lose my flock, though. I really miss them.

I worked for a year and 1/2 trying to cull out the eaters; but never could get it stopped.  I would catch one and remove her and for a while no sign of any more eating.  Then it would start back up again.  We finally just decided to start over.  Hated to lose my flock, though.  I really miss them.

That's really unfortunate. :(

How many did you have?

I had 15 hens and 3 guineas. I would get about 4 eggs a day and would find shell pieces and eggs with holes all the time so I knew I had eaters. I just could never find the eaters. I have separated hens in an effort to see which ones were doing it; but no luck. So we are starting over.

I didn't put golf balls in, but I did purchase brown ceramic eggs and put them in there and it did not stop them. I watched one wait for the egg to drop and I suppose that is how they knew which eggs were real. Smarter than I realized, huh.

Back
Top Bottom