Best Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenluver555, Aug 19, 2013.

1. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    So, after raising three Easter Egger chickens from when they were 2 days old to now 22 weeks old, my heart is aching for more. I don't want more EE's, because the gender guessing stressed me out, luckily they all turned out to be females. Here is a list of what I am looking for in a chicken:

1. friendly
    2. easy to determine gender
    3. pretty coloring
    4. small comb
    5. good egg layer

Any suggestions? Posting a pic would be helpful, and can you also add pros and cons of that breed.

THANKS,
    Gina

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I personally am currently deeply in love with Marans (especially blue and blue splash). The roosters are SO mellow, and the hens are pretty easy going. If you stuck to the cuckoo coloration, you could get the 'easy to determine gender' part down too.

It's also hard to beat chocolate eggs :p

3. I LOVE Black Australorps!
    Pros: Super Friendly (they love attention), They have pretty black feathers that look greenish in the sun, They are incredible layers!,Lay large eggs, Great moms, Just awesome chickens! Cons: There are none!

I have 2 Australorps here are their pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I definently reqeust getting this breed!

4. farmgirlroots

farmgirlroots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I'm really liking our Speckled Sussex. They are noticeably more friendly than our Buff Orpingtons. Ours are supposed to start laying any day and I'm told they are very consistent in that area. I think they have small combs compared to some other breeds and their coloring is so striking! Especially in the sun.
    Here is on of our girls at about 3 months old:
    [​IMG]
    This is usually how I'm greeted by our two Speckled Sussex. They can't wait for their humans to enter the run and crowd the fence line when they see someone coming.
    [​IMG]

5. chesterbarton78

chesterbarton78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    England
    BRAHMA !!!!

6. lilypad

lilypad Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    UK
    I'm going to vote faverolles! I'm completely in love with this breed - although they can be a bit difficult to find (in the UK at least)

1. Friendly - My girls are the friendliest/stupidest/funniest out of my bunch and one even likes to jump on my shoulder like a parrot!
    2. Easy to determine gender - With good quality favs they are easy to sex at 2-3 weeks, the males grow black wing feathers, whilst the girls get pale feathers.
    3. Pretty colouring - Take a look for yourself!
    [​IMG]
    4. Small combs - I'd say so!
    5. Good egg layer - Mine haven't come into lay yet but they're meant to be pretty steady layers, they're hardy birds that usually lay through winter.

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The one on the right looks like one of my faverolles. :)

8. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    I vote Favs as well.

Welsummers are fairly easy to sex as day olds as well. They have all the characteristics you are looking for, they just don't have small combs. They have a single comb.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by