best breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jadude, Sep 1, 2008.

1. jadude

jadude Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    sc
    i want to get chickens to raise through the winter and i want a really good brown egg producer what should i get

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Im not sure what breed would be cold hardy.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The one considered the very best of the purebreeds would be the Rhode Island Red or Barred Plymouth Rock is right up there, too. If you dont care that it's a hybrid, a black sexlink or red or gold sexlink would be your pick.
    EDITED TO ADD: those are all considered cold hardy birds, the purebreds a bit more than the sexlinks, which tend to be smaller in body, generally.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I have all 3 of the above mentioned breeds, those would be what I'd reccomend also. [​IMG]

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Wyandotts are good winter birds and they lay a nice brown egg. You might want to look at black australorps as well

6. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    i'm pretty sure they lay brown eggs - Chanteclars - they were developed in Canada, so they can take cold weather.

7. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Rhode Island Reds are GREAT and there is a Rose Combed variety that is just stunning. I would also consider the Wyandotte. They are nice and do very well in the winter.

8. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Dominiques are cold hardy, good layers, good mommies, friendly and very pretty! You want a breed with little or no comb. Like the Dominique!

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My favorite bird for cold weather is cochins but they don't lay as well as the RIR or any of the others. Our welsummer is a good layer and lays REALLY brown eggs, i got them at a year and 1/2 and my friend said they were running around in the snow and did great. She is laying me 5 eggs a week right now on average.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Buff orps are said to be good winter hardy chickens and good winter layers too. I hope so - I have 5!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by