best breed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rachele anne, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Rachele anne

Rachele anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    I'm looking to get a small flock of chickens and I need them to be good egg layers and have a good temperament what would be the best breed for this I'm only getting hens

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  2. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    You will get a million different opinions on this! Everyone loves their chicken's breed the most, ha ha!

I have Rhode Island Reds and they are super layers, but can be a bit flappy and difficult to deal with. They are not aggressive, just flighty.

I also have a couple of Buff Orpingtons but have been disappointed with their egg laying overall. They are beautiful birds to have around though, very lovey and they make great Mommas.

Here in Australia we have ISA Browns and Hylines available - I'm not sure where you are but those are both excellent layers with lovely temperaments.

I'm led to believe Wyandottes and Australorps are great too, and they are two which are on my wish list for both temperament and egg laying capabilities.

Good luck, and let us know which way you decide to go.

- Krista

3. Rachele anne

Rachele anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    It's going to be a little bit before I'm ready for them so I'll research different breeds and find the best for me thank you for your help ... I was already thinking road island reds so I may go with them

4. ophelia3178

ophelia3178 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2014
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Surprisingly my Amercaunas are laying a lot more than i anticipated. 5-6 eggs/chicken a week on average. I have two, one is friendly, the other is skittish. Not aggressive. None of my chickens are aggressive. then i have 2 Delawares, havent begun laying yet. They are both friendly, LOUD though!! then two buff orpingtons, one just began laying, about 6 eggs a week. the other has yet to lay and is skittish, the other is a lap chicken, she's the best. PS, none of my chickens beat each other up either. Next breed i will get is Barred Rock! or Pymouth Rock, great breeds for my purpose.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  5. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I have several different breeds in my flock, but I like my Golden Comets the best. They lay just about everyday and are super friendly. They will run straight up to me, aren't flighty at all, and love to be held. Great with children too.

6. Chicky Crazy

Chicky Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    WHITE ROCK!!!!! Mines a good layer (Daisy) and she is so sweet. She has a twin (Hattie) who she does EVERYTHING with. My newly integrated chick was sitting on the roost beside Hattie, and Hattie was just about to strike the chick behind the neck, and Daisy looked at Hattie a moment, then pecked her hard on the back. GO DAISY!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by