Best Breeder Food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickendude1, Jan 21, 2011.

1. chickendude1

chickendude1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Morganton North Carolina
    K i just have started breeding chicks. Just wondering what is the best breeder food so that my eggs will hatch well and my chicks will do well. Thanks [​IMG]

2. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Storey's guide says to use breeder ration. No mills around here carry it. Some use gamebird food or supplement with cat food.

I bought some breeder vitamins from Twin City Poultry supply and it's like $7 for a small jug but you only need about 6 drops per gallon.

I get grass-fed beef so I plan to also supplement with that. Hope this helps.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Southern States sells Super Breeder Crumbles. I have used Game Bird Breeder as well, which I think is better since, if I'm not mistaken, the SS Super Breeder Crumble is vegetarian.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If you can get them some fresh greens and a bit of non-soy protein, that's always a good supplement, too. Mine like dark leafy greens, as well as grasses, like wheat grass or even yard grass.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I also supplement mine with canned salmon once a week while in full chick-hatching mode.

6. chickendude1

chickendude1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Morganton North Carolina
    Thanks people for the advice Ill be getting some new food tommorow [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by