Best Breeds for a Heat Tolerant Flock?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hishigata, Mar 21, 2017.

Best Breeds for Hot Southern Summers

Poll closed Apr 25, 2017.
  1. Australorp

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Black Sumatra

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Blue Andalusian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Easter Egger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Egytian Fayoumi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Lakenvelder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Minorca

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Oliver Egger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Sicilian Buttercup

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Welsummer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hishigata

Hishigata Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    I live in Texas where summers regularly have highs hovering around 100 degrees for three months straight. I am interested in adding three hens to my flock but want breeds that will not suffer during the dog days of summer.

I currently have:
    - Easter egger
    - Lakenvelder
    - Sicilian buttercup

Ideally, I would like to get chickens (no bantams) that lay brown eggs as I am tracking egg production in my Lakenvelder and Easter egger as part of a longitudinal study. I have seen lists of heat tolerant birds but most are from people on the coasts and in the mid-west where summers are not nearly as hot. Some lists include Welsummers and Rhode Island Reds but I had a RIR die of heat exhaustion 5 years ago, so maybe not a good pick for Texas. Suggestions?

I am currently considering:
    - Austrlorp
    - Blue Andalusian
    - Black Sumatra
    - Egyptian Fayoumi
    - Minorca
    - Olive Egger
    - Welsummer

Thanks!

2. Chicken Mom RN

Chicken Mom RN Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2016
    I live near Galveston.I have 2 Dominques,a Rhode Island Red and an Easter Egger.
    They are all about 1 year old.They tolerate the heat and humidity without any problem.
    I always provide clean, cold water and have fans ready for the intense summer heat.The coop is shaded under the house with lots of ventilation.

3. Hishigata

Hishigata Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    Interesting! Dominques have heavy feathering and are winter hardy so they do not seem like they would do well here. Maybe fans make a big difference. I know I love a good breeze on those hot summer afternoons. Unfortunately, I do not have power to the chicken yard so fans are not an option. Their coop is under a tree with full shade but the fluffier girls would spend most of the summer panting and sitting in a wet spot where the hose leaked a little under the phylodendron plant in the shade. Even with lots of fresh water they looked miserable.

Easter eggers do surprisingly well. I have considered getting a second one. It would be nice if chicken breeds (and plants for that matter) were ranked for heat hardiness as well as cold hardiness. Especially as the world just keeps getting warmer...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Maybe ask BYCer Gander007 he lives in Death Valley and breeds chickens he could probably help.
    Best,
    Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by