Best breeds for a novice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by comp6512, Dec 3, 2008.

1. comp6512

comp6512 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Hi everyone!

I am getting ready to start raising some chicks and ducks for meat/eggs and fun companionship sometime next summer, or late spring. I am in Florida, Lakeland area. Wondering what are the best birds by parameters:

1. Healthy, resistant to disease
    2. Not too rumbunctious
    3. Can survive the heat
    4. Not too noisy (We are only on an acre lot)
    5. Good producers

Bonus: can kick the heck out of the cat (we have one who thinks he is a hunter)

Plus, hubby thinks he can butcher chickens himself and learn to be a homesteader. He he he... We'll see. Otherwise I'll end up with a pile of chickens and ducks and will have to sell eggs on the side of the road. [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Grant6411

Grant6411 RIP Steven

Dec 1, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Quote:good producers: australorps. 5 a week. fun: polish, sultans,silkies.

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    First thing first .[​IMG]

I don't think I can tell you what to get but the best choice will be your choice, there are so many breeds and some times you have to have several breeds to get all what you want.
    For Meat: you need meat birds like X Cornich.
    For alot of eggs you need something like production red or Rohd Ilsland red.
    and for something can surve all the above I think Buff Orpington will be my choice, you still can eat some of them, and they lay good eggs.

I am sure that I am not the expert, and I know you will get a better advice from other members on BYC.

Best Luck.

Omran.

4. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I think Wyandottes would be nice for you. Good layers, hardy, feisty and very pretty.

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    buff-orpintons. They are full of character but are quiet and gentle. They are a heavy breed so handle weather well. They are meaty if you like and lay nice brown eggs. I have 6 new 7 week olds and I love them already. I have two 7 month old Brahma but they are bigger and lay brown eggs as well. They are a little more standoffish but are still nice girls. Jean

Your best producers would be RIR but the roosters are natorious for attacking. They also give out after awhile of laying. I chose the bo's because they lay reasonably for a long time. Its a matter of what you like. What color of eggs you want and personality of birds. Jean

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Our black star gives us 5 to 6 eggs a week and she is not noisy.

Our Barred Rocks are NOISY!

We also have some Rhode Island Reds that are Noisy.

Our EEs are quiet and very healthy.

7. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    There is an old saying that a nervous person should raise Buff Orpingtons and a calm person should raise Rhode Island Reds.

We have both, lol The Buffs are very calm and good natured birds, they lay large to jumbo sized brown eggs, they are a good dual purpose bird.

For ducks you can't go wrong with a Muscovy

Steve in NC

8. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    My wyandotte is noisy, my barred rocks are quiet. But I love them both equally, and would take a whole flock of either...

I haven't had good experiences with hatchery buff orps or rhode island reds.

9. Egg Thief

Egg Thief Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    I have some bufforpington chickens i live in wyoming and they are quiet and are pretty good producers

10. manychitlens

manychitlens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    Northern California
    No advice as I'm a novice, but this had me laughing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by