Best Breeds For Beginner Urban Chicken Family

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Gloribee69, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Gloribee69

Gloribee69 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    Snohomish, WA
    Hi chicken peeps!

I'm a newbie and hoping to get 4/5 chicks in the next few weeks. My family (hubby, kids age 13 & 8) are wanting chickens that will be good egg layers and family pets. We live in the rainy but beautiful Pacific Northwest. I think we have narrowed our list down but I would love any feedback as to what breeds you think might fit the bill. [​IMG]

This is what we're thinking right now:
    • Hubby wants RIR
    • Daughter wants Golden Laced or Blue Laced Red Wyandotte (she also wants a silkie)
    • Son wants Buff Orpington
    • I want an Americauna (I love colors!)

My concern is that I have read that the B.O.'s can be picked on and that RIR can be a bit aggressive/fiesty. I have also read varying opinions as to whether it is ok or not to add chicks that are two weeks apart in age to the same brooder. Any opinions on that are also welcome.

Thanks much for your time!

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Lots of people love RIR. I don't. The only two I've had were too aggressive. I rehomed them quickly. All my others are great. I especially love Easter Eggers, Barred Rocks, Araucanas & Swedish Flower Hens. I have a New Hampshire that I adore - she's the friendliest one in my flock. Wyandottes - both silver-laced and gold-laced - are on my list for next year - along with Buff Orpington and Speckled Sussex. Except for the RIR, I think you have a great list of breeds. And that's just my personal experience with RIR. Like I said - many others love them.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Hatchery RIR do tend sometimes to be a bit aggressive and / or hard to tame, but in the end, they are individuals, and a lot depends on how they are raised. If you happen to have access to a good breeder of RIR, you will probably be much happier with them. I've had or have all the breeds you mention, the hatchery version, except Silkies. The BO's certainly weren't aggressive, but they weren't routinely bullied or injured, either. They did fine with the flock. The most aggressive and meanest birds by far were the Wyandottes, not the RIR. People do sometimes have trouble keeping Silkies with large fowl breeds, to the point of having to make them a separate coop.

I do know that some experienced chicken keepers say you can mix chicks of different ages without a problem, as long as they are all under one month.

4. Gloribee69

Apr 3, 2012
    Snohomish, WA
    Thank you 'CarolJ' and 'flockwatcher' for your input. I am probably going to get chicks from one of the local feed stores which I imagine get their chicks from hatcheries.

5. Gloribee69

Apr 3, 2012
    Snohomish, WA
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by