Best breeds for children

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sonomachx, Feb 28, 2012.

1. sonomachx

sonomachx Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Our local feed store will be getting their first shipment of chicks on March 9th. We are limited to 4 hens due to local ordinances and unfortunately a very nosey and persnickety neighbor . Our children are 4 years old and 19 months old. We are looking for hens that will be good layers, relatively quiet, and very docile so the kids can be involved. Attractive plumage would be a plus, but not necessarily a deal breaker. Anyways, the breeds that will be in the shipment are: Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, Delaware, Plymouth Barred Rock, RIR, Speckled Sussex, Gold Laced Wyandotte and Silver Laced Wyandotte. What would be your top 4 choices out of these breeds?

2. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    I would stay away from RIR. In my experience they're not good with kids. I don't have experience with the others, sorry. My favorite bird with kids is Cochins, but they're slow to grow, and they get really big. I'm sure others will give you advice on the other breeds. Good luck!

3. lclough1998

lclough1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Orpingtons are docile, good layers, I have heard RIR are bossy to other types of chickens and not particularly friendly. I dont know about the others.

4. armdchicken

armdchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    Orpingtons, australorps, barred rock and wyandottes are all friendly...RIR can become quite bossy...not sure about the others...

5. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    My Wyandottes are super gentle, as are my Orps, but my sweetest are my Ameraucanas.
    The feed store wouldn't have pure Ameraucanas, but they may be able to get EE's, most do, I don't have EE's, so not sure that they are as nice as the Ameraucanas, but I would think they would be, and the kids would love the blue or green eggs.

6. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Black Australorp is right up there with Rhode Island Red for laying eggs, and the Australorp is generally friendly.

Barred Plymouth Rock, the Delaware, Speckled Sussex, and Wyandotte all lay eggs at about the same rate generally, and these are all friendly breeds.

Buff Orpingtons are usually friendly, but they won't lay eggs as well as those other breeds, on average. But they aren't far behind on egg-laying. Many people report Orpingtons are the friendliest and make great mothers, if you plan to hatch chicks.

Here is a link with information about the most popular chicken breeds.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...chickens-resource-for-selecting-your-chickens

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  7. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    For what you describe you want, I'd go with:

Black Australorp
    Buff Orpiington

You could get two of each, unless you really want four different birds. Then I'd add SLW and SS.

Better yet, maybe you can get the nosy neighbor to move...

8. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    With my Ideal order I got 10 packing peanuts that were Buff Orpington roos. We will be eating those because we can't have roos but they are my favorite breed of all that I received. My next order will include BO pullets. They are very calm and sweet.

My Barred Rock and Wyandotte are nice but they do not want to be held. They are warming up to me though. The Wyandotte is my smartest. I sit out in the run with scratch and she has learned where I hold the can. She jumps up on my lap and eats straight out of the can instead of scratching around on the ground.

My EE is very skittish. She doesn't come near anyone, is scared of everything and spends most of her time in our coop.

My chickens came in November so I have not gotten any eggs yet.

I would say that the chicks will be a straight run when you go. I would check each breed and see if there is some way of determining sex by the feather color or feathers on their wings so that you can have the best chance of a pullet instead of a cockeral.

9. Daisy8s

Daisy8s Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Central Michigan
    Interesting that previous posters were negative about the Rhode Island Red. I have had several and they're my top pick, over Buff Orpingtons. I found the BO to be quite skittish so my boys couldn't interact with them much, whereas my RIR is the first bird to greet the boys when they get off the school bus and she's the first one they pick up and carry around.

My boys are 5 and 9 so maybe they were too rambunctious for the BO but my RIR sure isn't afraid! Also, my RIR lays far better than the BO. I find it annoying to be going through the work of feeding and housing a bird if it isn't laying at least 4-5 eggs a week.

I haven't had experience with the other breeds so I cannot comment. Congratulations on getting your first birds!

10. FeatherPainter

FeatherPainter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northern New York
    I have two each of SLW, Plymouth Rock & Buff Orps. I got them all in June so I'm new to this great adventure of keeping chickens. Everyday I say a different one is my favorite because they all are so friendly and fun and I get 4-6 eggs everyday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by