best breeds for recurrent egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1/2DozenWings, Nov 24, 2009.

1. 1/2DozenWings

1/2DozenWings Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Butler county
    HI,

I'm new to the backyard chicken world. I have only two EE hens I brought home from the local feed store that are both 20 months old now and going thru their 1st moult. In February, I plan to add to my 'flock' and get a few Ameraucanas, Brahmas, Orpingtons, Lakenvelders, Welsummers and Wyandottes. I read on this site, I think, that, once they go thru their 1st moult, egg production drops dramatically. I don't imagine that I will ever be able to turn any of them into soup once egg production drops, so which breeds in your combined experiences have the longest egg-laying utility?
    Yeah, btw, I picked these breeds for their egg colors.... And I'm going to get 2 roos: a BO and Cornelius (Welsummer)! I have plenty of room for them: acres of woods, pastures, barn, an established dust bathing area under the front porch of all places, gardens, & protective dogs and cats.

I refuse to buy the Chickens for Dummies book......against my religion

Thanks!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    So far, my Barred rock takes the cake for egg laying. [​IMG]

Of the breeds you mentioned, I also have Easter Egger (sold as Ameraucana by hatchery), light brahma, Orpington and welsummer chicks. My Easter Egger is a very consistent layer, she hasn't slowed down much even with winter approaching. My light brahma is a sweety, and one of my favorites. My Orpington is sweet and has been a great layer, but she is slowing down right now. My welsummer's are still babies, but looking forward to those pretty eggs! I should add that I do not add light to keep them laying, I let them take a break.

I have not been through a molt yet, but my understanding is that they do stop laying. You can give them extra protein to help them grow their feathers back in. But the bonus is, after the molt, their eggs get quite a bit bigger!

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I have some leghorns, that lay fairly well and large eggs, also, some production reds that lay massive large egss

4. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Of the breeds you have, I only have an EE. I do have four red sex link hens (they also go by a number of names, golden comet, cinnamon queen) and they're fabulous layers. We get an egg just about every day from them. I'm not sure which one is laying, nor do I know how old they are. But they are die hard about laying, even in the "winter" months we have in Texas.

5. 1/2DozenWings

Oct 12, 2009
    Butler county
    Wow, even bigger eggs post-moult? Those two already lay big green eggs. I'll just have to wait and see, then, and maybe stagger ages without reaching a moratorium on new birds [soon to be] imposed by my husband.

Thanks for your help!

6. 1/2DozenWings

Oct 12, 2009
    Butler county
    Oh, yeah.....I got them so late last year as chicks that I had to provide supplemental lighting as weren't old enough to lay until late September. I didn't want to do that this fall. Once I have an actual flock of >2, I won't be micromanaging them so much.
    What about Marek's vaccine? Is it necessary or is it too stressful on a day-old chick?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by