Best breeds for selling eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by journey11, Sep 5, 2009.

1. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    I would like to get some opinions on which breed you guys think lays the best quality eggs for selling. Mainly I am wondering if certain breeds perhaps tend more toward blood/meat spot than others. My brahmas lay very large eggs, but very often have multiple small blood spots (although not as bad now that I have kicked the rooster out--but he didn't seem to be too rough with them either, so who knows).
    [​IMG]

I have read that many folks don't candle their eggs for sale, and besides it would be too hard to tell with brown egg layers anyway. AND I don't have time to mess with it!

Btw--My mom is too big a wimp to just pick out the spots and made me mad so I don't give her eggs anymore!!! [​IMG]

2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I'm certainly no expert, but I can share my personal experience. I had a black star (sex link layer) who was an awesome layer. Gave me a nice brown egg every day, no meat spots, and she was a nice, quiet bird. My Silver Laced Wyandodtte was also a very good layer, though.
    But if you are wanting a consistent supply of large, brown eggs, then go with one of the production-bred types.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    We get lovely eggs from the RIR, Delaware and barred Rocks we have. My Australorps tend to lay medium eggs, which is really annoying since we then have to average out the cartons to have a carton of large eggs.

Size seems to be the biggest issue with my customers. We have the breeds you see below; very few meat spots and I've never had a customer complain about blood or meat spots. I offer to replace blood and meat spot eggs, and no one has taken me up on it.

We don't candle eggs--just wash and weigh.

4. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Golden comets seem to be a nice option. They begin laying earlier than most of the other breeds, lay a nice sized egg and are extremely reliable in production.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I have 4 golden comets-2 are laying-I love how dark their eggs are and the 2 lay everyday-yummy-no blood/meat spots-I also love BO and RIR girls-mine lay almost everyday!!! huge exlarge eggs too alot of double yolkers

6. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    Yeah, people really seem to be impressed by those double-yolkers!

I was just wondering what breeds everyone else was doing well selling with. I don't want to/don't have time to candle, but I also don't want to give people a dozen and have half of them spotty. I've seen really good quality out of my EEs and BAs so far, only an occasional spot, but they're just getting started. I know the BAs are supposed to be very proficient.

Temperment and looks are also important to me in a chicken, so I'm not really keen on say, a white leghorn, although they can sure put out. Mostly though, I am wanting to avoid blood spot, and wondered if it was linked to breed.

I gave my DH's grandma a dozen blue EE eggs, and she was like, "what am I supposed to do with these?" Some people are really amazed at their color, while others look at them like they are blue/green because they must have spoiled! [​IMG]

7. lbug

lbug Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    Danville, California
  8. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    my rocks lay an egg a day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by