Best breeds & sources for brown egg laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NoelC, Nov 26, 2011.

1. NoelC

NoelC Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2011
    We only plan on having 3 hens, and so hopefully they are good layers. What breed would you try to find if you mainly were interested in getting good brown eggs and didn't want to deal w/ broodiness or nasty personality?

Thanks!

Noel

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Absolutely Delawares. I have Dels and it rare any go broody. Twice in three years.

Golden comets are hybrids and they are great layers, but if you want pets you want a purebred. Also I have a friend whose girls went broody.

But I suspect you'll end up with more than three hens.

Rancher

3. no1hilbily

no1hilbily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have Isa brown a hybrid but they lay well i got 14 hens and get 12-14 eggs a day

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  4. jlynnet

jlynnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Michigan
    I have 14 hens, 7 ISA Browns and 7 Plymouth Barred Rocks. I get 12-14 eggs daily. They are friendly and easy to take care of. Today a friend dropped off Easter Eggers and a Brahma hen. We'll see what happens with those!

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Good all dependable Barred Rocks! and of course Orpingtons!

6. CSWolffe

CSWolffe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    Auastralorps, RIRs, Sex-Links, Opringtons and Barred Rocks are all excellent brown egg layers.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

ISA Browns, Townline Hatchery, Zeeland, MI

Almost any red sex link or golden sex link, known by many, many names, Red Star, Cinnamon Queen, etc. Most hatcheries have a version of this popular, top, large brown egg layers. Another advantage is you will be virtually 100% assured of getting pullets and no roos.

8. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Gold sexlink, also check out ISA Brown and Black sexlink.

If you got a gold sexlink like mine---you would have a surprising LOT of EGGs! at a really good feed conversion rate. These birds are amazing. Over the summer, my gold sexlink laid for 106-straight days, skipped a day and started laying again--- She's up to something like 217 since I got her toward the end of April. She is so calm and friendly that even my dh loves her!

Have fun---

9. NoelC

NoelC Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2011
    These recommendations are great, however finding sources locally is something I need to do some work on. I am looking at craigslist and finding a few here and there. The Black and Red Stars sound very attractive. Anyone know of a good source for these?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by