Best Breeds suggestions for Me ?!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Andi59, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Andi59

Andi59 New Egg

Mar 25, 2015
    Chatsworth Ca
    HOT Summers, mild winters. No snow ever. Coldest nighttime temps maybe high 30's -- but that is rare. Most winter nights in the 40's.

Summer begins in April, lasts until November. Highs to 100 sometimes above.

Coops and Runs have shade, Will be planting vines and things to give more shade. Can provide blocks of ice, and timed spray nozzles to cool off in afternoons.

I really want friendly, calm, large brown or colored egg layers.
    And just 4 hens.
    They will be family pets/that give back to their family. No very young children at home.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Coop and run almost ready; will be planting inside of coops with some plants that they won't like too much to add shade and fun, and planting seeds and small plants that they can munch on. Will be planting flats of grass and clover to rotate into the runs. Also will work on Chunnels around the surrounding vegetable gardens.

2. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Average "Easter Eggers" will fit the bill. Hatcheries call them "Ameracaunas" but they are almost ALWAYS EE's. Calm, colorful eggs, and they do well in the climate that you have described. They adapt really well. I like to have a kiddie pool for mine to walk through in the summer.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Based on your criteria, I would recommend Australorps. They are extremely hardy in both heat and cold. I've raised them where summer temperatures frequently reached 117-118 F (occasionally more), and while my other dual purpose breeds were listless, panting, and holding their wings out, my Australorps were going about their business as usual. They are also very calm and friendly. My children and my granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) made lap pets of them. And they are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock. :eek:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by